General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

poppies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Nov 2023 14:54

I am just back from shopping in Cheltenham. There were two poppy sellers in army uniform outside John Lewis and a large group selling poppies fro a table of stuff in the large shopping archade.

I was amazed at how few people were wearing poppies at all. Usually by this time of year almost everyone is wearing them :-S

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 10 Nov 2023 17:37

No where seems to sell poppies here anymore Ann and we very rarely see anyone with a poppy on. At one time schools use to sell them and a lot of shop use to have a box on the counter but not now. I donate via post and have a poppy brooch that I wear.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 10 Nov 2023 17:51

It is such a shame. Pre COVID there was always a Poppy Seller at both the big supermarkets near me, now there is just a box of poppies at both Customer Service kiosks. Unless you knew they were there you would miss them :-( That's were I got mine :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Nov 2023 18:15

Our local Tesco does have poppy sellers. Our village is covered with poppie garlands and ‘fields’ of poppies on various greens outside small housing estates. We have a disabled ex service man who drives the appeal every year. But we do have a large military population so it is not surprising.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 11 Nov 2023 09:58

Most of our local supermarkets have table sales of poppies, or young uniformed people with trays.

I always buy a poppy, but not all my coats accept the pins, and then sometimes I wear a different coat, so may be seen without a poppy. Make an effort to wear one on the Sunday.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 Nov 2023 13:27

Loads of poppies being worn in town today and the whole place fell silent at 11, except for the odd few disrespectful people. :-|

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Nov 2023 18:29

I wore a pin-on poppy emblem from a previous year, when I went out today, but went shopping with my daughters and each bought a new poppy in her local Co-op.
They were all last years style, ie. with plastic stems, as I guess the British Legion doesn't want to waste stock.
Later we popped into an Aldi store and there was a manned table with a good stock of different poppy items, including the new style plastic-free ones.
I bought a clip on reflective poppy, which is useful to go on the zip of a waterproof jacket, which I don't want to put pins in.
Tomorrow there will be crowds of people at the town war memorial, where young and old will gather to respect the memory of those who have fought for the freedom of this country.
Children from the local primary school will read out all the names of those commemorated at the war memorial.
The area has always had a strong link with the services and veterans still like to attend to remember their comrades.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Nov 2023 09:03

Fingers crossed for a dry morning for all those attending parades etc.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 12 Nov 2023 11:24

I managed to get a metal poppy about two weeks ago from a stall outside Morrisons.

I got talking to the gentleman sitting there, he was in the Merchant Navy.

I also bought two poppy scarves last year, and have been alternating them too.

Just watching The Cenotaph and bawling my eyes out. <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Nov 2023 13:08

Very emotional isn't it?. And, is it me? Is the number of marching military larger this year?