General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Self service tills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Nov 2023 21:36

Did you see that the supermarket, Booths is scrapping all self service tills. Except at the two stores in Cumbria. There are no Booths down South as far as I know but it is a start. (By customer request).

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 Nov 2023 22:25

allegedly, to stop pilfering by scanning cheap items instead of the expensive ones...

Florence61

Florence61 Report 10 Nov 2023 22:28

I saw that AnninGlos. I loathe those tills and much prefer a human to serve me as I need a bit of help packing if I have a lot of things.

But it is nice to exchange a bit of chat too. Going shopping is not only an essential trip but for some a social one and replacing humans with these self service tills is awful.
Not only that but on the few occasions when I tried to use a self service till, it has always gone wrong and had to call the supervisor. So would have been quicker to use a till with a person serving!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Nov 2023 23:21

That's been my experience, too, Florence!

I now always go to a manned (personned ??) till, even if I'm only buying one item. Often quicker, and definitely less stressful.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Nov 2023 00:11

Just to correct my opening post it is not all cumbrian shops keeping the self service it is just Keswick and windermere which apparently get very busy. I can agree with that as I have used both of those.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 11 Nov 2023 09:40

Booths is a shopping experience, the staff are lovely and have time for you. There used to be a store at media city, Salford, next to the TV studios, but it's changed to a Co-op now. The used to give the free coffees like Waitrose.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 11 Nov 2023 12:44

I hate self service tills and often if there is a queue to pay at a manned till someone comes across and tries to direct me to a self service one. I always decline and point out that it is their jobs which are at risk which always seems to surprise them! I also add that if I wanted to be a check out assistant I would apply to be one rather than a customer.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 11 Nov 2023 12:53

One supermarket we went to, we had the usual trolly full and on being advised to go to the self checkout as the others were busy we said no thanks and left our trolly there and left.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Nov 2023 14:35

I had a problem with the 'self serve' till in a small Sainsbury's yesterday.

I bought a few things, and, used the persons-operated check out.
As I got outside, I realised I hadn't bought one of their red onion and cheese sandwiches - my favourite!

I had about 8 minutes before the bus came.
I rushed back in, picked up the sandwich, and proceeded to the self-checkout - which I've used many times before. the one I chose had a large sign saying 'Cash or Card'.
I had the cash in my hand, went to use it - and there was no 'pay by cash' sign on the machine.

A girl came over, - new to the job, I think - and said very loudly 'Do you need some help dearie?
You have to press the 'cash' button to pay cash - let me show you'.
I replied, 'There is no cash button' - she moved me out of the way, then proceeded to do what I'd done, but carried on saying things like 'You do this dear' - as though I was some sort of idiot.
I just left my sandwich, saying I have a bus to catch, and walked out.

Well true to form, the bus didn't turn up,, it looked like rain, and I decided to walk to the bus station - but nipped in to attempt to get my sandwich.

I walked to a different 'Cash and Card' self-checkout - and 'Lo'. before |I'd even reached it - SHE came towards me saying ' Let me show you what to do, dearie'.

I just stopped and said through gritted teeth 'Please stop patronising me - I notice the till I was trying to use earlier now says 'Card only', THAT was why it wouldn't take cash - not because I'm either old, or stupid!'

I'd paid for my sandwich before she'd skulked back to her colleague - probably to moan about me. Shame her colleague knows me as a regular shopper, and was sniggering the whole time - he even gave me a subtle 'thumbs up' as I left!! :-D

No-one calls me 'dearie'!! :-| :-| :-P

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Nov 2023 14:42

When shop assistants began calling me "dear", and asking if I wanted help to pack my shopping, I knew I must have begun to be perceived as "old".

It came as a bit of a shock!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Nov 2023 16:35

I only retired last year.
When 'dearie' girl reaches my age - she'll still be working!