General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another Scam to watch out for

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 18 Nov 2023 12:16

I don't have a smart phone, so can't get caught out by this, but many people do, so this is for you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-67335952

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 18 Nov 2023 14:47

The was an item on bbc this morning about this explaining how the scammers cover the code with one of their own . Nowhere is safe from these vile people.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Nov 2023 14:52

I think this sort of thing has been happening ever since QR codes were put into parking instructions.
It is just the first time we have been told about such a big loss.
Justginnie is right, nowhere is safe.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Nov 2023 10:43

It's being recommended, that people download the train site before leaving home, and paying that way. So much for online stuff saving us time!

On a similar note - local authorities wonder why people are objecting to having to download an app for every car park they visit, to pay to park!

We don't know who these 'private' car parking firms are, yet they're gaining access to our bank accounts!!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Nov 2023 11:21

Seems community and religious groups are being targeted via tiger WhatsApp groups,

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Nov 2023 13:03

Maggie, these Apps take up space like everything else so what happens when your smartphone runs out of space? I was looking at my storage today and it says I have used 28/32 GB so only have 4 GB left! So I started going through my pictures as that has 6GB of them and quite a lot I can delete as they are rubbish ones anyway.

But the phone itself takes about 8GB with the system, so you cant delete any of that plus your google, clock, maps and all the other things you use.

But these parking Apps are proving to be rather dangerous and hearing all these stories doesn't make you want to park in a town centre or at a station does it?

Names, why target community & religious groups? What's that all about?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Nov 2023 14:43

Pretending to be a member they contact a proper member with a one time code, take control and then ask other members for urgent money transfers.
I suppose they assume you would trust your fellow group members.