General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Heard it all now!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Jan 2024 12:19

Well I have heard it all now! I didnt receive a xmas card from a cousin this year and wondered if the hubby had passed away as he has been ill for sometime.

So I sent an email enquiring after them all and this is the response I received.

Sorry didn't send you a card but all our addresses are stored on the PC and it crashed so we lost all the details!

But they had my email so they could have asked me ages ago for my address couldnt they?

Well I have heard all the usual stories but this one is a new one to me :-D :-D :-D

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Jan 2024 12:57

Are you sure they weren’t just replying to you by using the email address you just used. If my pc crashes then my email contacts are lost as well.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 9 Jan 2024 14:26

I was going to say the same as names. When my computer crashed 3 or 4 years ago I lost all my email addresses too. Luckily I had also kept a written address book which included email addresses and telephone numbers so I was OK.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Jan 2024 14:29

Ah yes well maybe that could be true. Hadn't thought about the email.

Vera, I also have a typed list of all my emails and mobile/tel nos just incase. I never leave things to chance.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Jan 2024 15:10

I can't stand our email system on the 'puter. OH's phone is linked so all his telephone call contacts join the contacts list. He gets really annoyed whn I moan about it.
I did once try copying mine off the list but it was impossible to C & P.
Our old system had them split into his, mine, and some joint.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Jan 2024 16:17

names, do you not have your own email? If so why can't his contacts just be attached to his mail and not yours!

I think I would be really irritated if it was me.

When I was married, we each had our own emails and contacts and neither were linked to each other. I wasn't aware you could do this??

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Jan 2024 16:57

Yes we do have our own emails, two each. It is the contacts list that is the problem. It was ok when it was Outlook but when it stopped it went to Microsoft mail and that is when the problem started.
Fingers crossed for when it goes back to Outlook.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 9 Jan 2024 16:57

Why on earth don’t people have everything automatically backed up in a cloud storage system? That way you know that everything is safely stored, so that if anything happens to the computer, you can just download it all and haven’t lost anything. That way you don’t need to sit and type it all back in again. .

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Jan 2024 17:01

My late brother in law had a lot of his stuff in the cloud. When he died we couldn’t access it even though knowing the end was coming and had passed a lot of passwords over.

I’m no computer buff but I am sure OH has recovered ‘stuff’ after a computer crash.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Jan 2024 17:38

We always had an external hard drive.

I just tf pics to the various pen drives in batches like hols, xmas etc once a month.

But I never store passwords in a folder on the PC....no way. They are written down in one of my notebooks.

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 11 Jan 2024 00:38

I had an app for a while, a secure place to keep all your passwords. It took me ages to fill everything in, but once it was finished I knew it was there anytime I needed it.

After a few weeks I had forgotten a password I needed for something, so I opened up the App, and guess what? It wanted my password!!! I had no idea what it was, after a few failed attempts it gave me a message saying I had to uninstall it as somebody was trying to gain access to it.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 11 Jan 2024 11:58

agingrocker well there you go!