General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GEDCOM Upload Problem

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 10 Jan 2024 21:32

Hi there,

Trying to upload a GEDCOM and keep getting an error message by email:

"Your Gedcom file has now been processed

The file could not be loaded: Cannot parse gedcom file. The file is not in the correct format.message. The first line in error is line 203580 Lehi, UT 84043 "

The file is a standard GEDCOM and has successfully uploaded to several sites.

I created a new GEDCOM and get the same error message.

Any thoughts?

Edit:
The following sites parsed the file fine and it uploaded:

Ancestry
Tribal Pages
Find My Past
My Heritage
GED Match
Geneanet
Family Search

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Jan 2024 09:28

I,m wondering if you have a very large tree. I think there have always been problems with those. The software on here is old.

Try finding other threads on this problem by using the search option on the left.

You have to be proactive on this site so also try using the Search/ all members trees on the top right to see if anyone has your names on their own trees.

Stephen

Stephen Report 11 Jan 2024 14:27

The tree is only around 2300 people. Don't know if that would be considered large, small or medium.

I have a relative with a tree on here (that's why I'm here) but I won't be on it. We just met and I think she'll be a 3rd or 4th cousin.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Jan 2024 14:51

Sorry, when I said 'your names' I meant names on your tree.

It is often said on here that one shouldn't have living people on your tree without their premission and one should always opt for the hidden option on living people.

When you do manage to add your tree it will only be avaiable to others wioth your express permission with hidden names still hidden. Howver those names will appear on a names search