General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which is worse?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Feb 2024 09:09

Is it getting messages about mothers, fathers or Valentine days etc - or being continuely asked whether you want to drop put of the messages.

I find the latter worse.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 15 Feb 2024 09:34

I find them annoying. The latest ones are asking me if I want to drop out of Mother’s Day emails. They could be very upsetting to someone who had for instance lost a child, or not been able to have children. Rather like rubbing salt into the wound.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 15 Feb 2024 09:36

I personally prefer to opt out :-). As I don't have parents, children or an OH now, I don't want to be bombarded with emails as I get enough unwanted emails as it is :-0 :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Feb 2024 10:16

I don’t like the drop out offer as it brings things back. I don’t mind so much looking at the offers as there may be something worthwhile getting for me.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 15 Feb 2024 12:26

Exactly what I said last night. If you have recently lost your Mother, and are still very fragile, the last thing you want is to be reminded of the fact. The first few months are difficult enough as it is, your head is all over the place.

Needless to say that applies to all bereavements.

My dear old Mum died a few years back, but it applies to Fathers Day et al.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Feb 2024 12:43

I too opt out. But I can understand why they do it. damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Annx

Annx Report 15 Feb 2024 13:31

I find them a nuisance cluttering up my inbox and needing my attention. I don't have parents, in laws or children, but if I did I would prefor to seek out my own preferences.

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Feb 2024 13:54

I've had 2 offers to opt out , both firms I order from at various times of year for birthdays etc. I do agree with AnninGlos re damned if they do or don't. It comes up on many sites every year when someone is upset by mention of mother's day/father's day.

In a way for me , and I realise this is different for everyone, any reminder of a lost loved one is better than the really awful void when the deceased person is never mentioned at all, almost as if they hadn't ever existed in the first place.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Feb 2024 13:58

Rose, I do so agree with your last paragraph.

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Feb 2024 14:15

Ann ((hugs)), I know it is so often done out of kindness so as not to upset, and people struggle for the 'right' words to say ( I know I have), even within the family sometimes as they deal with their own grief, in their own way.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Feb 2024 15:02

My mum isnt here anymore, but when Ive had emails from florists and others etc, it kinda reminds me to sort out with me brother about what flowers they will put on mums grave on my behalf.

I get many emails that are irrelevant so i just delete and dont even read them.

Boots sent me one about mothers day and no i wont opt out as I buy other things from them.

if you are signed up to one company, you email is passed on to lots of other companies so difficult not to get certain emails like mothers day, fathers day etc.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Feb 2024 15:08

Rose I often bring T into the conversation, just talking normally and now my friends that I meet up with do the same. And those that are widowed talk easily about their OHs. It is the best way to keep their memories alive.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Feb 2024 15:27

AnninGlos we talk about my mum all the time and I still talk about my grandparents as if they are still here. They were a huge part of my life.

I think its very important to keep their memory alive and also, its a comfort to many as well.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 15 Feb 2024 17:13

Grief affects everyone differently. Although I think there are phases that people go through, although not always in the same order. Shock/devastation/sadness/anger and back to sadness.

I can remember when my parents died years apart, the reaction of others was the same, they crossed the road rather than talk to me.

We often sit and talk about our parents in the afternoon, and always reminisce about our childhoods and end up laughing at the good memories. <3