General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help re signing into all fav websites

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 May 2024 10:51

It seems everytime, I hit a fav website from my list, I now have to sign in with an email and password even though I have clicked to remain signed in.

Each time I come onto Genes, same thing yet, I never sign out and so never have to sign in only very occasionally.

Its driving me up the wall!

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and if its a setting, can someone tell me where to find it please?

I haven't changed anything on this PC and it's less than 3 years old.

I am fairly clued up with computers but even after googling, I have yet to find an answer.

Any help would be appreciated please.

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 May 2024 11:09

Sounds like your computer is set to clear cookies.

I am annoyed with Ancestry - I don’t have a smart phone so can only use my main computer as that is where I get my email with the new code each time. But now I also have to click to say I am not a robot.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 May 2024 11:26

names, there used to be something under the 3 dots at the top that when you clicked it, it came up with options to

clear cache after closing down or
delete temp files
and other options.

But now there isn't this option???

So where can I find the setting so I can see what it says and if necessary change it back to don't delete?

I just dont understand how settings can change on their own :-S :-S

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 19 May 2024 11:38

Which browser are you using Florence?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 May 2024 12:01

There should be a way into Settings.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 19 May 2024 12:06

Are you using Chrome? This sounds like a similar problem to one posed recently about changing the font size. I think Google has updated Chrome when we weren't looking and a lot of things are different.

If you scroll down near the bottom of the list there is a Help button, so perhaps that might be of some use!!

On the other hand, I use Chrome, never sign out of GR and so far have had no problems getting back in from the favourites bar.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 May 2024 12:20

I have Google as my home page and never use chrome or firefox. i think its either IE or Microsoft Edge..Tbh i don't actually know and that's sounds daft!

I never sign out of GR so not sure what has changed.

I found in settings where it has boxes with a slider and all are off so it should not delete browsing history or cache automatically. Took me awhile to find that in the Microsoft settings??

My yahoo mail asks me to sign in every time with email and password now and its soo frustrating!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 May 2024 12:40

Well I found the settings and double checked and the cache etc are all switched off so don't delete on opening up PC.

The strangest thing is now Genes is keeping me signed in???

But Amazon & my Yahoo mail are not.

I shall keep trying I guess until i resolve it somehow.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 May 2024 13:02

Well, Well, the gremlins has disappeared!

All I did was sign in several times and resave the websites to my favs. I deleted the original favs and then moved up the new save for ease of access and.... oh my it worked :-S :-S

I really don't understand it at all. So all I have done is refresh the fav sites and that has cured the problem but how s that possible??

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Well and truly need a coffee now!

Florence in the hebrides

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 May 2024 14:48

So after all that i did, it wasn't 10 minutes before the problem returned. Daughter uses Chrome( i dont) but I went on Genes using Chrome and it saved my details and also my Yahoo mail. However when i then went onto Amazon of which i never sign out, it took me to the site but it was daughters account :-S :-S :-S

My little search bar on the task bar no longer works either!

I have googled a lot of things and its saying to uninstall Microsoft Edge and reinstall it, but I am loathe to do this incase I lose stuff .

I shall message my son tomorrow as its his day off and hopefully he can sort it.

I'm not use to chrome and really don't like the layout its just what I'm not used to, creatures of habits so we are!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 May 2024 15:00

On a shared computer you should always log of of certain things. Like accounts where you spend money.

Do you let the computer do its regular updates?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 May 2024 17:21

Yep it normally does updates late at night when I shut it down.

So she needs to sign out of her Amazon account and so will have to always sign in for that and me too. Ah that explains it as i'm using Explorer and she was on Chrome so it never came up before until now as I was using chrome. Ty for that names.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 May 2024 20:50

Now you can your shopping secret ;-) ;-) but then so can your daughter. I assume you already log out of your banking.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 May 2024 21:42

I don't do internet banking on the PC names. I have the bank app on my smartphone and for that you have to enter password etc and log in each time.