Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

look up 1851 please for ann mager shropshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

optimistic olivia

optimistic olivia Report 3 Apr 2008 13:37

I'd be very grateful if someone could have a look for Ann Mager on the 1851 census. I have her in 1841 living with her parents John and Margaret and her sister Mary Ann. I have her again in 1861 under her married name and still living with her family with her mother.

She was born in Church Stretton in 1830.

Regards

Olivia

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Apr 2008 14:03

Unable to find.Can you give the 1861 details?

Patricia

Patricia Report 3 Apr 2008 14:12

Hi there

Can I have a bit more info - where were the family in 1841 ? What was Ann's married name and was her mother a widow and living with them in 1861 please ?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Apr 2008 14:15

Ann married Henry Jones and on the 61 census her mother Margaret is transcribed Margaret Marie. (the original looks like Majer. They're in Madeley, Shropshire.

optimistic olivia

optimistic olivia Report 3 Apr 2008 14:16

In 1861 they are in Ironbridge. The head of the household is Margaret Maier (wrong spelling of Mager).
Ann is with husband Henry Jones born 1826, Kidderminster and sons John, born 1856, Ironbridge and Samuel, 1859, Ironbridge.
Of course there is a list of lodgers too.

Olivia

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Apr 2008 14:21

On the 61 census, the sons John & Samuel were born Madeley.

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Apr 2008 14:35

Well I must be using a different database.
Margaret Mayher abt 1792 Church Stretton, Shropshire, England Head Ironbridge, Shropshire

1861 not Ironbridge
Margaret Marie abt 1792 Church Stretton, Shropshire, England Head Madeley, Shropshire

Margret Mager abt 1793 Shropshire, England Madeley, Shropshire

optimistic olivia

optimistic olivia Report 3 Apr 2008 14:47

Thank you all for looking
Jim, On the 1861 census transcript the borough is Madeley, Parliamentary borough, Wenlock but in the column address, is marked Ironbridge.
As you point out there are different spellings of Mager but even trying different spellings I can't find them in 1851.

I haven't found a death for John mager either and would like to know if he was still alive in 1851. It's funny but the family all seem to disappear after 1871 until I found John Jones in 1901 in Lancashire

Patricia

Patricia Report 3 Apr 2008 15:23

Hi all what a puzzle this is turning out to be. I, like all of you, have searched various ways i.e. leaving various fields blank such as first name, surname, place of birth etc but nothing comes up. It is a real mystery. I tried to find a death for John Mager on both FreeBMD and Ancestry but there is absolutely nothing.

I have the NBI 2nd Edition and the only results for MAGER are listed below. It would appear that not many of the parishes in Shropshire have been transcribed yet.

N.B.I. 2nd Edition for all of Shropshire

30 May 1819 Thomas MAGGER 56 Worthen, All Saints

8 Sep 1832 Henry MAJOR 4d Much Wenlock, Holy Trinity
5 Jul 1831 John MAGER 8 Church Stretton, St Lawrence
11 Mar 1835 Richard MAJOR 7 Much Wenlock, Holy Trinity
28 Mar 1829 Thomas MAGER 9 Church Stretton, St Lawrence
8 Sep 1832 William MAJOR 4d Much Wenlock, Holy Trinity

12 Sep 1993 Christine MAGER 46 Coalbrookdale, Holy Trinity

You will see there are two burials in Church Stretton which may, or may not, be connected to your family.

Anyway I have to go out now so I will check back again later to see how far you have got.

Good luck Pat

optimistic olivia

optimistic olivia Report 3 Apr 2008 16:43

Thanks Pat.

John Mager's father was called Thomas, as was his brother and they lived in Worthen, so the burial in 1819 could be either one of them. I'll check on that.

I must leave my computer for a couple of hours but I'll check later to see if anyone has had any luck.

Olivia