Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jane Redpath born in Bowsden Moor, Northumberland.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 3 Feb 2010 16:55

She was a non-conformist, probably Presbyterian, born 1837 prior to the start of GRO - likely date 28th January. In a family worship book she is listed as born 28 Jan. 1839 but there is no-one suitable. More likely she did what my grandmother did - knocked a couple of years off her age! Please can anyone help or direct me to the right place? Thank you.
Linda.

EVEIE

EVEIE Report 3 Feb 2010 17:03

Name: Jane Redpath
Year of Registration: 1837
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Berwick
County: Durham, Northumberland
Volume: 25
Page: 13 (

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Feb 2010 17:17

1841 census
Bowsden Moor, Glendale, Lowick, Northumberland
Agnes Ridpath, 40, ag lab
Jno., 15, ag lab
Marg't, 20
Elizabeth, 20
Ann, 15
Thomas, 10
***Jane, 4
Jno, Marg't and Ann NOT born in county.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Feb 2010 17:27

Walter REDPATH Head M Male 59 Old Yeavering, Northumberland, England Farm Servant
Jane REDPATH Wife M Female 53 Lowick, Northumberland, England
May Jane REDPATH Daur U Female 22 Doddington, Northumberland, England Farm Servant
Elizabeth REDPATH Daur Female 19 Doddington, Northumberland, England Farm Servant
Walter REDPATH Son Male 8 Belford, Northumberland, England Scholar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling Low Hedgely
Census Place Eglingham Crawley Hedgeley Beanley, Northumberland, England
Family History Library Film 1342237
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 5124 / 54
Page Number 5

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Feb 2010 17:29

Looks like the same family but mother is Alice not Agnes. Suppose it was misheard in one of the censuses.
1851 census
Newham, Northumberland
Alice Ridpath, head, 52, unmarried, no occupation, born Northumberland, Chatton
Margaret, dau, 35, ag lab, born Kirknewton
Elizabeth, dau, 32, ag lab, born Lowick
John, son, 27, ag lab, born Bernhill?
Ann, dau, 25, ag lab, born Lowick
Thomas, son, 21, ag lab, born "
***Jane, grandau, 13, born "
Walter, grandson, 8, born "
William, grandson, 4, born Kyloe?

Linda

Linda Report 5 Feb 2010 12:33

Dear Ann of Green Gables,
Thank you for your help. Sorry not to reply earlier, but I got a bit confused about threads etc! Anyway, by 1881, my Jane was Bradford as she married in 1863.
Best wishes,
Linda.

Linda

Linda Report 5 Feb 2010 12:58

Dear Margaret Manson,
I remember you when I asked about James Stuart.
You have been very helpful here because I could not find any reference to Jane after 1841 until 1861 when she was in service in Belford. Then in 1863 after that she married and became Bradford.
You are right - it would be word of mouth because they would all be illiterate so Agnes became Alice or vice versa. Alice probably, as Jane had a child in 1867 whom she named Alice.
Jane's marriage cert. does not name a father and this is confirmed by this census with its lack of adult males who are not blood relatives.
In the 1841 census I was thrown by the ages of 2 of the women who either had to be twins or on a visit from another branch of the family!
Anyway thank you so much.
I don't think I shall pursue this now because I shall probably never know who Jane's father was.
Best wishes,
Linda (Sorry about delay, I got very muddled about replies).

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 Feb 2010 13:03

Don't be confused about ages on the 1841 census, Linda. On that census they rounded down ages of everyone over 15 to the nearest 5. So the 2 women with ages recorded as 20 would have been anything from 20-24. A lot of people make the mistaken assumption that they have twins in the family when actually the ages could be 4 years apart.

Linda

Linda Report 5 Feb 2010 15:07

Margaret, thank you again.
I had forgotten about the rounding up of ages.
You are a great help!