Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anne Chappell

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 25 Feb 2004 18:56

KETT(e)RIDGE I have just discovered where all 35 of us originated. Hope some of you out there are interested. We are actually descendants of Norsemen, thus having connections with the people of Normandy in France. The Norse, from the far north of Europe, settled mainly in Suffolk. The name Ketteridge, which started as something unpronouncable with no vowels, became the Old English KETTLRIC, to finally become the name it is today. I have found records for a John Kitredg who married in 1590, at Horseheath Cambridgeshire, from whence my ancestors, from 1700, came. So, there you have it. We have one of the oldest English names which, judging by the fact that there are only 35 of us on GC, is in danger of becoming extinct.