Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stephen Orpin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 22 Mar 2007 04:16

There are different Orpin clans around England.Kent,Gloucester,the midlands and scotland. I am decended from The 'Kent' Orpins. I have traced my line backSeven generations to Nicholas Orpin,who was born in wateringbury,Kent in 1709.He married Mary Ann in 1732,in Leybourne,and they had eleven children,all baptised in Leybourne too.Many of the 'kent' orpins are decended from this man. From there the trial goes cold at this present time,but the name is reputidly Norman French,so our distant ancestors could well have come over with the Normans,who in turn are decended from the Norsemen. However,I read some time ago that there was an Orpin who used to do business with the romans,and Orpington was named after him... please contact me if you have any new info Stephen Opin. March 2007

Norman

Norman Report 21 Sep 2007 10:28

Just read your note about the Orpin clan. I have a record of Ann Orpin born 8 October 1688. christened at St Martins in the Fields. She married Adam Fuller 27 April 1708 at St Giles Cripplegate. No relation probably but info just the same

Jackie

Jackie Report 21 Sep 2007 13:15

Hi.

The Orpin in Gloucester use to be coal merchents in the Kingsholm area of Gloucester. There are photographs of them on a website.

www.claphamkingsholm.co.uk

A lovely little site

Jackie

Nicola

Nicola Report 13 Jun 2008 12:22

Hi Stephen i too come through from Nicholas orpin and my family still lives in Kent. I'm only down the road in Maidstone ans have done a lot on the orpins.

We don't seem to have Moved far in the 400 years. My Grand-parents settled in Tenterden from Frittenden and before that yes Wateringbury/leybourne.

An "Orpine is a flower so we could have even got the name from there at some point our name back in Nicholas' day having the "e" on the end.

Nicola Orpin