Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Burow

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 25 Aug 2006 21:07

Hi All, I am trying to find my gggrandparents and have come up against a brick wall. My Great Grandfather born Carl Wilhelm Burow who was born in 1868 at the time of his death he had officially changed his name to Henry Burrows. He was born in Germany in a small country hamlet called Rigenwald near Stettein in Germany. At the age of 18 years he arrived at the port of Stettein and secured a berth as a deckhand on one of the sailing ships. He docked in Greenock, Scotland where he met his wife Agnes Morgan (my gggrandmother). At the time of the war he was fighting at the front for the British. At sometime his father Charles Burow (born circa 1848) arrived in Greenock. His father was stopped in the street by soldiers. He was a very tall burly man, but when asked for his papers he produced them and because he was born in Germany he was treated as a illegal immigrant where he was interred at Barlinnie Prison in Glasgow before being shipped to the Isle of Man as a POW. When Henry heard of his fathers interrment he went AWOL from the front line. After the war a lot of records were destroyed and where Henry and Charles were born the borders had been moved and the hamlet of Stettein had all but dissapeared into Poland. I know that Charles Burow married a Charlotte Prost (born circa 1850) and can only imagine that after her death Charles came to Greenock to be with his son. This is where the trail stops. I have had relatives that have been to Germany to try and trace any records of the town but to date I can find nothing. I would be grateful if anyone could help me in this quest. Many thanks in advance if anyone can help me find further information Helen