Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 census detective required PLS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 20 Jan 2007 13:12

I am looking for a family by the name of HOWELL. William, Adrianne & son Edward.....details below:

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 20 Jan 2007 13:13

William HOWELL was born in 1876 St Pancras. He is recorded as an Actor on the 1881 & 1891 census , his marriage in 1898 which took place in Newcastle Up On Tyne & on his wifes death certificate in 1959 in Bedford. His wife is Adrianne Cornelia Howell nee HICKS & it's believed they had a son Edward William HOWELL - initials were used only on mothers death certificate as he was the informant. Edward was born in 1899 in Camberwell - Adrianne was born in Camberwell in 1872 she was a singer & recorded as CORNELIA in the 1891 census living at home with her widow mother Clementina HICKS & various siblings Raphael, Bianca, Leonard , Arthur, Ivo) I've searched a very long time for them - I am unable to find them I think due to possible spelling variants - a fresh pair of eyes and a new angle in which to search would be of great help - thank you

Brit

Brit Report 20 Jan 2007 17:36

Hi Deborah It is odd given the unusual name that you would not find at least Adrianne. Given their occupations, could they have been out of the country for the 1901 do you think?

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 20 Jan 2007 17:41

Did they have any stage names? Jim

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 20 Jan 2007 17:48

Hi Maggie & Jim Thank you so very much for your input. I've checked passenger lists as Adrianne's brother Raphael sailed for America in 1892 - so thought maybe they had gone for a visit to see them - but no success . I do know that Raphael & family came home for a year and then went back to the states. It's possible that they may be in Scotland - I haven't explored this as of yet !! I'm not aware of any stage names sadly as each time William and Adrianne have been recorded on census or BMD's its with their names ( or with the case of Adrianne in 1891 her middle name Cornela ) Where could I start finding stage names? If they had any?

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 20 Jan 2007 17:51

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983 about Addrian Cornelia Hicks Name: Addrian Cornelia Hicks Year of Registration: 1872 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: Camberwell (1837-1919) County: London, Surrey Volume: 1d Page: 687 (click to see others on page)

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 20 Jan 2007 17:52

1891 England Census about Cornelia Hicks Name: Cornelia Hicks Age: 19 Estimated birth year: abt 1872 Relation: Daughter Mother's name: Clementina Gender: Female Where born: Peckham, Surrey, England Civil parish: Camberwell Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary Town: Peckham County/Island: London Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Camberwell Sub-registration district: Peckham ED, institution, or vessel: 16 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Athus Hicks 13 Bianca Hicks 23 Clementina Hicks 53 Cornelia Hicks 19 Ivo Hicks 11 Leonard Hicks 15 Marie Hicks 17 Raphael Hicks 25 View Original Record View original image View blank form Save This Record Attach this record to a person in your tree as a source record, or save for later evaluation.

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 20 Jan 2007 17:55

Hi Carol Bless you, thats her , I have this information & her birth, marriage in 1898 & death in 1953. I'd just like to find the family in 1901 - I think Scotland will be my next port of call. Much happiness Debi Have put a thread up asking for a Scotland 1901 census look up - fingers crossed