Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1851 Durham census - can anyone help please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brenda

Brenda Report 30 Aug 2005 17:16

Brenda

Brenda Report 30 Aug 2005 17:17

Margaret Arthur Soulsby born about 1850 in Kibblesworth, Durham. Father is Robert Soulsby, a coal miner, I have no other details on him unfortunately. Would like to find this family in the 1851 census if possible. Thanks in advance! Brenda

Gina

Gina Report 30 Aug 2005 18:35

Hi Brenda 1851 Kibblesworth 2394/579 Robert SOULSBY, Head, Mar, 47, Coal miner, Chaters Hough Sarah, wife, 41, Gateshead Fell Sarah Esther, dau, 5, Leadgate I think Margaret was born later than you think 1861 Kibblesworth Robert SOULESBY, Head, M, 57, Coal miner, Shiney Row Sarah, wife, 51, Gateshead Fell Sarah E., dau, 15, Leadgate Margaret A., dau, 9, Kibblesworth Nicholas ASSELBROUGH, Boarder, Unm, 28, Coal miner, Winlaton They are mistranscribed on Ancestry index as SANTESLEY Are you sure it's Margaret Arthur?? Cheers Gina

Brenda

Brenda Report 30 Aug 2005 19:47

Gina, Many thanks for the info. Margaret is Margaret Arthur on her wedding cert in 1868, she said her age was 18. I have only found one birth record for a Margaret A, and it’s from 1854, which would tie up with the 1861 census info you have…. But that would also make her only 14 at marriage. I think I’ll have to take a chance and order the birth cert to see what the middle name is listed as. Regards Brenda

Gina

Gina Report 30 Aug 2005 20:11

Hi Brenda There's a Margaret Soulsby born 1851 on Durham BMD. Don't you think the on in 1854 is a bit late if she was 9 on 1861 census? There's also a marriage between Robert Soulsby and Sarah Cleminson in 1845. Cheers Gina

Brenda

Brenda Report 30 Aug 2005 23:17

Gina, Thanks for the extra information, I'll have a look on the Durham site first thing in the morning. I agree, the one born in 1854 is a bit late, but she was the only one I had with a middle initial of A. Regards, Brenda