Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 14 Apr 2005 23:09

please,please,please can someone help me.my grandads name was leonard george oldman,born 9 oct.1919 in lowestoft,suffolk.i am trying to find out his mum or dads names/places/dates of birth.am going round in circles.any help gratefully received.zoe.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Apr 2005 23:23

Your grandfather's birth certificate will give his parents' names. You can find this in the GRO indexes and order it from the GRO. You can then find their marriagein the GRO marriage indexes and order the certificate. That will tell you your great-grandparents' ages and their fathers' names and occupations. You should then be able to get your great grandparents' birth certs and find their parents on the 1901 census. nell

Smiley

Smiley Report 14 Apr 2005 23:27

I will look up the GRO reference for you Zoe, Nell is right, you will definitely need his birth certificate, otherwise it's guesswork almost. Back in a mo... Here we are Oldman - Leonard G - mothers maiden name - Jolly - Mutford - GRO ref: 4a 2204 Mutford is a registration district of Suffolk You can order certificates from this site @ £7 each http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content

Zoe

Zoe Report 14 Apr 2005 23:48

thank you both for being so helpful.x

Smiley

Smiley Report 14 Apr 2005 23:55

here's a marriage Zoe Marriages Jun 1902 ----------------------- Bull Herbert George Mutford 4a 1713 Dollemore Sarah Anne Mutford 4a 1713 Jolly Elizabeth Lily Mutford 4a 1713 Oldman James William Mutford 4a 1713 Looks like it could be your great grandparents.. This info from FreeBMD. This is the only Oldman +Jolly marriage I found between then & 1919, the birth of your grandfather. I suspect there may have been a few siblings before him. Using the GRO ref again you can order from the above site. They may be found on the 1901 census too

Smiley

Smiley Report 14 Apr 2005 23:59

There may have been children before 1911, but after Sept 1911 they give the mothers maiden name as confirmation. Oldman Wallace A - Jolly Mutford.4a 2065 Birth 4 1912 Twins? Oldman Lionel R - Jolly Mutford.4a 2094 Birth 1 1915 Oldman Harold C - Jolly Mutford.4a 2094 Birth 1 1915 Oldman George A - Jolly Mutford.4a 2115 Birth 3 1916 Oldman Sevenia G - Jolly Mutford.4a 1464 Birth 4 1917 Oldman Leonard G - Jolly Mutford.4a 2204 Birth 4 1919 These could of course be from another Oldman+Jolly marriage, but if there is one I certainly couldn't find it Sam I thought I would check the deaths too Oldman Lionel R aged 0yrs Mutford.4a 1733 Death 1 1915 one of the twins? Oldman George A aged 0 yrs Mutford.4a 1604 Death 1 1917 Many children died at an early age back then, so sad.

Zoe

Zoe Report 15 Apr 2005 00:09

i dont want to get too excited just yet,but there are a few harolds in the family & ive heard the name wallace mentioned before.my uncle is also called james william.my dad was named after my grandad!

Zoe

Zoe Report 15 Apr 2005 00:17

if leonard george oldman was born in 1919 & he died in or about 1957,is there any way u could check for correct date of death?