Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1921 Lincs. Census help needed please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Louise

Louise Report 6 Aug 2004 10:50

Hi. I am trying to find out when my grandmothers brothers and sisters were born. They should show up in the 1921 census as my grandmother was the youngest and born in 1920. Most were born in Brig, Lincs and the surrounding areas. Their names were: John Charles Goodge. Elieen Goodge. Marjorie Goodge and Dennis Goodge. Their mother was EMILY PORTESS. If someone could also look up the names in an early census (1901 would show these up, but she may have had more children after that census) I would appreciate it. Emily's mother Emma (I do not know her maiden name as of yet) - Had at least 9 children. I am having a hard time with all the kids, but the list I have so far is: John, Charles, Christopher, Joseph, Sarah (Who we think may have died before her mother Emma, as she wasn't listed on Emma's obituary), Emily, Thomas, Alice, Harry and Edward. I was wondering if anyone would be able to perhaps confirm these children, and whether she had any additional ones. Other than that, I have also managed to find a Mabel. E. Portess who was born the same area in 1882, but I can't link her in at the moment. Any help with any part of this will be much appreciated. Many Thanks :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Aug 2004 10:52

Louise The 1921 census is not available to the public yet. The latest one available is the 1901. This is because of the 100-year privacy rule. Someone may be able to help you find the information you want, but it is true that most 20th century info at the moment involves wading through the GRO indexes. Sorry. Helen

Louise

Louise Report 6 Aug 2004 10:55

Thanks for that Helen, I am a newbie to all of this :) Hopefully I can still get some more info on them.

Jools

Jools Report 6 Aug 2004 11:07

Louise - I think this is Emily and family on the 1901 (using decoder) Name Age Where Born Administrative County Civil Parish Occupation Alice Portess 8 Lincs Worlaby Lindsey Lincoln Worlaby Entire Edward Portess 2 Lincs Worlaby Lindsey Lincoln Worlaby Entire Emily Portess 11 Lincs Worlaby Lindsey Lincoln Worlaby Entire Emma Portess 43 Lincs Stallingborough Lindsey Lincoln Worlaby Entire Harry Portess 6 Lincs Worlaby Lindsey Lincoln Worlaby Entire John Portess 44 Lincs Laceby Lindsey Lincoln Worlaby Entire Ordinary Agricultural Labourer Joseph Portess 15 Lincs Thornton Lindsey Lincoln Worlaby Entire Horseman On Farm Sarah Portess 13 Lincs Barton On Humber Lindsey Lincoln Worlaby Entire Thomas Portess 9 Lincs Worlaby Lindsey Lincoln Worlaby Entire

Jools

Jools Report 6 Aug 2004 11:17

Louise - I think this will be them on the 1881 census John PORTESS Head M Male 25 Laceby, Lincoln, England Farm Laborer Emma PORTESS Wife M Female 23 Stallingborough, Lincoln, England Farm Laborer Wife John Robt. PORTESS Son Male 3 N Killingholme, Lincoln, England Chas.Wm. PORTESS Son Male 1 N Killingholme, Lincoln, England Alice CRISP Sister In Law U Female 13 Grimsby, Lincoln, England Scholar Source Information: Dwelling Langmere House Census Place East Halton, Lincoln, England Family History Library Film 1341784 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 3289 / 80 Page Number 25 I would therefore say it is a safe bet that Emma's maiden name was CRISP and the marriage took 1876/1877. There is this on Freebmd Marriages Jun 1877 Crisp Emma Glanford B. 7a 1483 Portas Mary Jane Glanford B. 7a 1483 Portess Jack Glanford B. 7a 1483 SIMPSON Charles Glanford B. 7a 1483 I would make an educated guess that Emma Crisp married Jack Portess and Mary Jane Portas married Charles Simpson. you will only know for sure if you get the certificate.

Louise

Louise Report 6 Aug 2004 11:29

Thanks for the help, Crisp does seem to be the most likely maiden name for her. However I have just come across a Mabel E. Portess, who was born in 1882. She seemed to be living with a family called MILLSON. the millson family consisted of: William Millson born 1827 Elizabeth Millson born 1830 Fanny J. Millson born 1865 Alice E. Millson born 1867

Geoff

Geoff Report 6 Aug 2004 11:38

Just in case (!) you need John Portess when he was a lad, I found these in Laceby in 1861 census 13 Seed Close Lane (I think) Theophilus Portess 46 AgLab, Lincs Thoresby* Elizabeth 45 AgLab's wife, Lincs Binbrook Eliza 11 Scholar, Binbrook Thomas 10 Scholar, Irby (next village to Laceby) John 4 Scholar, Laceby * I have found a North Thoresby about 6 miles SE of Laceby

Louise

Louise Report 6 Aug 2004 11:59

Wow, thanks Geoff! I havent looked into Johns family with much detail and to find "Theophilous" is abit of a shock. :D Thanks everyone for their help. Louise.

Geoff

Geoff Report 6 Aug 2004 12:03

I wonder if Emma Crisp was a bit younger - I found a young and apparently childless couple in Binbrook 1861 Robert Crisp 20 Machineman's servant, Lincs Bardney Hannah 19 dressmaker, Lincs Caistor. This may be a red herring, but I could find no others. I see that the IGI has a few Theophilus Portesses baptised at North Thoresby going back to 1756.

Louise

Louise Report 6 Aug 2004 12:27

Thanks, I can't seem to place Robert yet, but im sure he will fit in somewhere. Anyone got any information on the Millson family please? I am totally confused as to why in the 1891 census, Mabel E Portess was 9 and living with Millsons. Thanks again, Louise.

Jools

Jools Report 6 Aug 2004 13:02

Louise - why are you getting raffled up with Mabel E Portess? Are you thinking she is some relative of John/Jack? The image says Millson, Alice E 24 Broughton, Lincolnshire Daughter Wrawby Lincolnshire Millson, Elizabeth 61 Messingham, Lincolnshire Wife Wrawby Lincolnshire Millson, Fanny J 26 Broughton, Lincolnshire Daughter Wrawby Lincolnshire Millson, William 64 Messingham, Lincolnshire Head Wrawby Lincolnshire Povkers (PORTESS), Mabel E 9 Broughton, Lincolnshire Grandaughter Wrawby Lincolnshire Source information: RG12/2625 Registration district: Glanford Brigg Sub registration district: Brigg ED, institution, or vessel: 9 Folio: 129 Page: 1 Therefore her father is a Portess and her mother was a Millson. There doesn't appear to be a millson daughter on the image who is old enough to be her mother BUT if you look on the 1881 census the family is William MILLSON Head M Male 54 Messingham, Lincoln, England Inn Keeper Elizabeth MILLSON Wife M Female 51 Messingham, Lincoln, England Inn Keeper Wife Sarah Ann MILLSON Daur U Female 22 East Halton, Lincoln, England School Teacher Mary E. MILLSON Daur U Female 20 Broughton, Lincoln, England Fanny Jane MILLSON Daur U Female 16 Broughton, Lincoln, England Alice Ellen MILLSON Daur Female 14 Broughton, Lincoln, England Henry Mason MILLSON Son Male 12 Broughton, Lincoln, England Source Information: Dwelling Red Lion Inn Census Place Broughton, Lincoln, England Family History Library Film 1341783 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 3285 / 24 Page Number 13 SO - now look for a marriage of a male Portess to a Sarah Ann or Mary E Millson. Of course, if you got Mabel E's birth certificate then you would know for sure who her parents were.