Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ANOTHER SHROPSHIRE LOOK UP PLEASE *****

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerry

Gerry Report 21 Feb 2004 14:32

This time I have Henry Gittins b1828 Shrewsbury married to Hannah b1833 Shrewsbury. I have NOTHING on either of their parents. If someone could please do look ups on Henry Gittins from 1828 upwards we might find his Mum & Dad (&siblings) through the son. Gerry

Janet

Janet Report 21 Feb 2004 14:39

HENRY GITTINS Male Event(s): Birth: Christening: 26 MAY 1830 Wellington, Shropshire, England Parents: Father: THOMAS GITTINS Family Mother: ELIZABETH You could have found this yourself on the IGI section of Family Search - the URL is in the Link Section of Resource Centre on the menu to the left. Under the parents' names is a Batch Number - click on that, a new search window will appear. Just type in the surname and the parents' names, click Search, and any names that appear will be his siblings. Jan.

Emma

Emma Report 21 Feb 2004 15:22

Gerry From 1871 census: Henry Gittins, head, mar, 43, butler (domestic servant), Salop Shrewsbury Henry Gittins, son, 17, carpenter apprentice, Ireland Kingston/Kingslarn? Mary E Gittins, daur, 14, scholar, Northamptonshire Rushton at 2 Binnall? Terrace, St. Julian, Shrewsbury, Shropshire

Gerry

Gerry Report 21 Feb 2004 15:40

Jan Thank you. I have got as far as I have (100 names) by doing my own research and this was the FIRST time I had asked for a look up! I had found the record you found for me but am not convinced it the same Henry coz the Christening is some two years after his birth and not in a place I would have expected. If I can find him in an early census with the correct birth year I can them be more sure about the parents. Your info on the batch number was new to me however, for which I thank you. Gerry

Emma

Emma Report 21 Feb 2004 15:52

Gerry, Don't know if it's any help in deciding which Henry is yours but there are only two Henry Gittins in their 40's on 1871 census; the one whose details I've already provided and: Henry Gittins aged 40 coal miner born Rushbury with wife Harriett and children Emanuel, Ruth, Elizabeth and Noah. Emma.

Janet

Janet Report 21 Feb 2004 16:03

If the above turns out to be correct, these look like his siblings!! You searched for: Gittins, Birth/Christening, 1814 - 1834, Shropshire (Salop), England, British Isles Father: Thomas , Mother: Elizabeth Exact Spelling: Off Batch Number: C037523 [refine search] Prepare selected records for download International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 5 Select records to download - (50 maximum) 1. HENRY GITTINS - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 26 MAY 1830 Wellington, Shropshire, England 2. ADAM GITTINS - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 24 SEP 1834 Wellington, Shropshire, England 3. JOSEPH GITTINS - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 13 NOV 1825 Wellington, Shropshire, England 4. EMMANUEL GITTINS - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 01 AUG 1832 Wellington, Shropshire, England 5. SAMUEL GITTENS - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Christening: 19 AUG 1827 Wellington, Shropshire, England Janet

Gerry

Gerry Report 21 Feb 2004 16:51

Emma and Janet Thanks. The Henry in Shrewsbury as found by Emma in 1871 Census is my Henry, which I think rules out Elizabeth and Thomas as his parents. I have just been told by Mother-in-Law (whose family this is) that Henry was an Innkeeper in Wrexham at some time in his life. I'm not sure how helpful that is at the moment. Do you know if there is a Shroposhire Census for 1831, 1841, 1851? If he appeared in either of those as "son" I will get the parents. Janet How do you manage to download that info from familysearch? When I tried it it said Windows didn't recognise the type of file. Gerry

Diane

Diane Report 21 Feb 2004 16:58

Hi Gerry,how come you are getting replies but I'm not? Diane

Gerry

Gerry Report 21 Feb 2004 17:04

Diane Hi. I don't quite undersatnd the question!!!!!!! Gerry

Diane

Diane Report 21 Feb 2004 17:22

sorry Gerry,didn't mean to sound nasty-Diane

Gerry

Gerry Report 21 Feb 2004 17:37

Diane Whoops. I didn't think you were being nasty - quite the opposite. My response must have given you the wrong impression for which I am sorry Gerry