Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

alice blackmore b1833 falmer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 6 Nov 2007 16:49

please help i am getting in a complete muddle. alice blackmore was born in falmer sussex @1833 she may have married a isaiah strong born1830 ringmer sussex. have been told they married in about 1854. i cant find any relivant information so any thing would be great to know. beleive isaiah strong remarried in 1866 to a lady called elizabeth born 1829 in portsmouth if you know anything please let my know lorraine

Heather

Heather Report 6 Nov 2007 16:55

On freebmd this looks like the probable marriage - unfortunately no groom is given - you can buy the certificate using the reference from GRO online for £7 (never pay more and make sure you use the official site)

Marriages Dec 1854
Blackmore Alice Lewes 2b 229

(have cross checked and the groom is indeed Isaiah -page no. missing - use the ref for Alice with the page no. 229)

Marriages Dec 1854
Strong Isaiah Lewes 2b

This looks like the second marriage:

Marriages Jun 1866
BENNETT Fanny Brighton 2b 295 Scan available - click to view
>>>>BONNER Elizabeth Brighton 2b 295 Scan available - click to view
>>>>STRONG Isaiah Brighton 2b 295 Scan available - click to view
Wood John Brighton 2b 295

You should take the free trial on ancestry for all the census info for three days Plus lots more:

http://landing.ancestry.com/popularmedia/hs1.aspx?landingpage=3DF_nc&o_iid=32618&o_lid=32618&o_it=32845

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 6 Nov 2007 17:11

many thanks
did look at the free trials on various sights but they want you to load credit card details for when free trials end and i didnt want to do this in case they used the card at end of trial i have been using the census records on here but they keep saying no match . how can you get records before 1830? is there a sight for this or is it by going to record offices? beginner at this if you hadnt realised!!
many thanks again lorraine

Jean

Jean Report 6 Nov 2007 20:30

Hi Lorraine.......

Will confirm what Heather has said re the marriage of Alice and Isaiah..........

1841 census

Falmer Village, Sussex

George Blackmore / age 30 / ag lab
Mary Blackmore / age 25
Stephen Blackmore / age 9
ALICE Blackmore / age 6
William Blackmore / age 5
Thomas Blackmore / age 3
Harriet Blackmore / age 2

All born in County

When using census records on ANY site, be prepared to look 5 years either side of the date you think . ie. If you think someone was born 1856 ( from census info ) look at least 1854-1858. People were illiterate, and would forget when they were born (wish I could)

Would you like 1861 census info ? Don't want to spoil your fun......

Regards

Jeannie

Heather

Heather Report 7 Nov 2007 09:04

Re the three day free trial - NO card details are required for this particular offer - go and try it.

Registration (certificates) started 1837 but werent compulsory (except for marriages) until 1875 - before 1837 you need to consult parish registers. SOME records are online at familysearch.org - the mormon site. Some can be found by googling for the relevant area as some kind souls are transcribing parish records for us to enjoy (bless them) but if you cant find what you need on line yep, you have to go to records offices.

Nip over to the Tips Board on here and read the Tips for Newbies threads.

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 7 Nov 2007 09:07

hi jeannie

any info is gratefully received. many thanks for info about census this will help alot as i have only been looking at exact years from dates of birth and hence not getting any where fast. i am also wondering weather this solves the mistory with my grandad as i cant find his record of birth so i will now try this many thanks lorraine

Heather

Heather Report 7 Nov 2007 09:10

Please check out my posting above for help re the free trial.

Whilst census ages are often a few years out, depending on who gives the info etc,The REGISTRATION of your grandads birth wont be but it could look a year either way depending on whether he was born before or after the date the census was taken. i.e. if he were born say 1895 in January - in the 1901 he could appear as 6 years old BUT if he were born 1895 in May he would appear as 5 years old. The younger the person is in the census, the more accurate the age will be, obviously.

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 7 Nov 2007 09:14

hi heather
i will try this and yes i signed up for my free trial yesterday afternoon so will be using it alot to do all different surches many thanks lorraine