Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Paul Gebhard

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 16 Mar 2005 22:41

Hello Peter! That marriage of Christian GEBHARDT to Fanny PEARSON in Sheffield could be really relevant. Because the Henry GEBHARD who lived in Birmingham and wrote to me way back in 1989 told me that his father was a Henri GEBHARDT who married his cousin Clara MANTLE said that his father was born at 33 Carlisle Street, St. Marylebone London, he also told me that his granddad was (wait for it!) a Christian GEBHARDT who married a Fanny PEARSON!!!! What he didn't tell me was that they were married in Sheffield! (I just presumed London or similar). Interesting that his father's bride Clara MANTLE was a cousin (where was she born then? - did she have brothers? are there MANTLE relations around today? etc etc. What I find particularly interesting about this from a personal point of view is that this Henry GEBHARD (born 30 Jul 1912) is the first GEBHARDT that I know to have 'dropped the T' - when I was a little lad I was told that 'many moons ago our surname had a T on the end - but the T was dropped probably in the 1st World War so as to make it sound less German); now in my line that certainly is not the case, on the 1851, 61,71, 81, 91 and 1901 census my ancestors all say GEBHARD as far back as 1851. Anyway, Christian GEBHARDT and Fanny PEARSON had the following kids:- Arthur GEBHARDT b1887 Chelsea Albert GEBHARDT b ? Charlie GEBHARDT b ? William GEBHARDT b ? Henri GEBHARDT b 20 Mar 1891 Christina GEBHARDT (married a Jack SHOESMITH) Fred GEBHARDT b 18 Aug 1901 (never married, he was a 'Railwayman' and he died 6 Feb 1974). Henry GEBHARD that wrote to me (I wonder when he dropped the T ?) was born 30 Jul 1912 and he had a brother Victor GEBHARD born 19 Jul 1920 (he never married). Henry married a Sylvia FIELDS and had one child Maureen GEBHARD born 16 Jun 1945, she married an Eric RAPSEY. Henry and Victor are both now deceased so we can't ask them any questions I'm afraid. Henri GEBHARDT died 23rd August 1946 in Birmingham, I have two home addresses for him 6 Midland Terrace Sparkbrook and 17 Gorleston Road Warstock (both Birmingham). I wonder if any of them are on the 1901 Census? Oh and here's a surprise! Christian GEBHARDT, Henri GEBHARDT and Henry GEBHARD were Pork BUTCHERS!!! Henry GEBHARD lived at 22 Heathmere Avenue Yardley Birmingham and ended his days at 10 Foliot Fields, Yardley. 1) Wonder if this lot came from Bretzfeld too? 2) Surely they must be related to the Sheffield GEBHARDs if not the Wakefield and Morpeth ones? 3) Why would Christian go from Sheffield to London (and in what year?) and then his offspring end up in Birmingham (and from what year?). 4) What's Fanny PEARSON background? 5) Clara MANTLE a cousin now that could be a big lead 6) Wonder if Nanele LEWIS (nee GEBHARD) dad ever mentioned these folk? 7) Does June BROWN (nee GEBHARD - granddaughter of the Wakefield, Bretzfeld , GEBHARD, Pork Butcher Line that came to Birmingham) know of this lot? 8) Try to find Maureen RAPSEY nee GEBHARD? As you know , I've never found any link between my lot 'Frankfurt GEBHARD' the 'Bretzfeld GEBHARD that went in 3 directions, Wakefield, Morpeth, Birmingham and possibly Sheffield' and the odd man out in Birmingham William Conrad GEBHARD born Nuremberg Bavaria (not too far from my lot in Frankfurt and Mainz) and his sons the brilliant Norman Leslie GEBHARD and Eric Walter GEBHARD both born Birmingham. The plot gets thicker all the time, I've always been convinced that in about 1880 in Birmingham the 3 seperate Gebhard batches in Birmingham knew each other even if they were not related. Anyway Peter that should keep you busy for at least an hour!! Best Regards Paul GEBHARD