Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mosaicing.......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 19 Aug 2013 13:57

......does anyone do this. l have done and loved it and want to start again, but we are in the throws of moving so it will be a few months before l can start. Have been rescuing tiles and bits and bats before OH throws them....grrr

jude :-)

Island

Island Report 19 Aug 2013 15:00

Sounds interesting Jude :-D

Diane

Diane Report 19 Aug 2013 23:43

This is something I would love to do as the effects look quite stunning. I imagine you have to plan your picture or pattern in detail before you start. But tell me Jude, does it take up a lot of space as I'm currently under orders not to bring in any more "junk". I just say we need a bigger house to accommodate all my art and craft materials and books etc....... A girl's gotta have a hobby!

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 20 Aug 2013 02:12

Hello Diane......the way l started was to get some old kitchen/bathroom tiles, or just a piece of hardboard. Scratch the surface of tiles abit. Get some ideas from books.
l used the little square tiles at first (later you can break old plates etc). Depending on what you are doing, how much detail etc, but yes some will need drawings etc first,then transfer the drawings onto tile or wood. l did 2 butterfly place mats, so they needed working out first. But just covering a bathroom tile you can place the small square tiles on the larger one and work things out that way,(l used "hard as nails" glue from a cheap shop we had in town, to glue them onto the larger tile/wood) keeping them fairly close together, but space for grouting. Look on websites for hints.
l love it and will get back to it:)
Enjoy
nite nite
jude

Von

Von Report 20 Aug 2013 12:52

My OH has done some mosaics.

Funnily enough my 6 year old grandson expressed an interest when he was here the last time.
He said his Mum had said he couldn't do it because it involved glass tiles.

I have bought him a children's kit to start with so we'll see how that goes and if he likes that we can move on too proper stuff and take the necessary precautions so he is safe.
I can't see a problem with specially made squares and he won't be smashing stuff just yet. ;-) ;-)

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 20 Aug 2013 16:51

l've not used this site but the tiles are the sort of thing l mean, aprox an 1" sq, you glue them onto a 4 x 4" tile or bigger. As you say Von you don't need to use the glass ones and no need to cut any at this stage:)
Good luck:)

jude :-)

http://www.hobby-island.co.uk/?gclid=CNDOuZKwjLkCFbIPtAodYSIA8Q

Diane

Diane Report 27 Aug 2013 00:00

Hi Jude

Sorry I've not been back but been on me hols. Thanks for that info & that website .......... what can I say. All those mosaic tiles - so pretty, it just makes you want to have a go. Just the thing for dark winter evenings I think. I'll just have to make a bit more space in my hobby room!

Diane

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 27 Aug 2013 14:12

Hi Diane

When l get me head together l'll add some photos of my mosaics to the link thingie on here.
But l am sure you will enjoy doing it yourself:))

jude