Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New title for September - The Tea Planter’s Wife

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GenesBookClub

GenesBookClub Advisor Report 15 Sep 2015 12:07

Hello everyone,

The Genes Book Club is back!

We’re sorry we haven’t posted a book for a little while. We know some of you let us know your concerns over not receiving your books, so we wanted to make sure everything was up to date and any issues with sending were dealt with before holding our book club again. If we missed you and you’re still waiting for any of the summer’s books, drop us a message and we’ll make sure they’re sent out asap. September is all about back-to-school and new terms, so without further ado here’s our fresh start:

Our new title is the Tea Planter’s Wife by Dinah Jefferies.

Dinah Jefferies' unforgettable new novel, The Tea Planter's Wife is a haunting, tender portrait of a woman forced to choose between her duty as a wife and her instinct as a mother...

Nineteen-year-old Gwendolyn Hooper steps off a steamer in Ceylon full of optimism, eager to join her new husband. But the man who greets her at the tea plantation is not the same one she fell in love with in London.

Distant and brooding, Laurence spends long days wrapped up in his work, leaving his young bride to explore the plantation alone. It's a place filled with clues to the past - locked doors, a yellowed wedding dress in a dusty trunk, an overgrown grave hidden in the grounds, far too small for an adult...

Gwen soon falls pregnant and her husband is overjoyed, but she has little time to celebrate. In the delivery room the new mother is faced with a terrible choice, one she knows no one in her upper class set will understand - least of all Laurence. Forced to bury a secret at the heart of her marriage, Gwen is more isolated than ever. When the time comes, how will her husband ever understand what she has done?

The Tea Planter's Wife is a story of guilt, betrayal and untold secrets vividly and entrancingly set in colonial era Ceylon.

To take part in our book club, simply get in touch with us by 22nd September by clicking directly on the ’Send Message’ button to the left which can be seen if you hover your mouse over the ‘Genes Book Club’ profile.

Please remember to include your name and address (including post/zip code).

On 22nd September 50 recipients will be selected at random to receive a copy of the book. Copies will be sent at the end of September – please allow extra time for international delivery.

Happy reading!

Book Club

Winifred

Winifred Report 6 Nov 2015 08:51

Requested this book and not heard a thing. Did anyone else receive theirs. I can't see any reviews on the board.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Nov 2015 09:58

I didn't see this when it went up as I was away but I have read this book and it is a great read.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 6 Nov 2015 12:01

Have you checked that your message has been opened Winifred? Those of us requesting Man At The Helm in June didn't even get our requests opened for a couple of months and then, as far as I am aware, no-one got a response. The Book Club seems to be grinding to a halt like the rest of this site. :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Nov 2015 10:27

Nudge

Persephone

Persephone Report 25 Nov 2015 07:31

Mine arrived in NZ today and I see two people have reviewed..