Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Horton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 28 Apr 2011 13:38

I'm trying to find a girl cousin born to my mother's sister, Kathleen Horton, in around 1962, probably in Bicester or at least the Oxfordshire area. Kathleen would have been 18 or 19 at the time. The baby was given up for adoption. I have no other information so am aware that this is a long shot.

Thanks
Carol

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Mar 2019 10:08

Well you should be able to find the birth on freebmd

But the new name would be needed to look further

Do you have permission from the sister to look for the child who would now be an adult though

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Mar 2019 11:18

Has your aunt told the name she gave her?
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl Gives a female Horton/Horton birth in Oxford, late 1961. You might want to purchase the certificate for £11 to see if she IS your cousin.

Once you have a name, not necessarily the Oxford one if she gave birth out of area, add the child’s name to the adoption contact register.

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 7 Mar 2019 19:40

If a child was adopted from birth it is almost certain that both names will have been changed. Ring Social Services and ask for the Post Adoption Team. They may suggest you employ an Adoption Intermediary, but if you do this, check their charges before committing yourself. Is your aunt able to tell you the name of the child when the birth was registered, the only girl appears to be Deborah J. b l96l.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Mar 2019 15:24

There's also a Horton birth with mms Horton in Oxford in 1960 - a boy.
And a girl in 1968.

There were two Horton/Horton marriages in 1962, in Oxfordshire - in Henley and Wycombe.
Don't know if either is connected to any of the births or not.