Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Henri Demlen Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Betty

Betty Report 12 Jun 2012 05:14

Does anyone know what happened to Henri Demlen, belgium boxer who came to Australia in 1915, later had the lease on the Bondi Baths. He is my grandfather. He married my grandmother Doris Amein, My mother Fae was adopted at birth, I belive she had two sisters Shirley and Gloria (Doreen) Demlen. Any information would be great.

jax

jax Report 12 Jun 2012 05:27

??
Sands Directories: Sydney and New South Wales, Australia, 1858-1933
about Henri Demien Name/Business Name: Henri Demien
Year: 1924
District: Bondi Beach
Page No: 1020

KINGSMILL

KINGSMILL Report 12 Jun 2012 08:12

Henri Demlen
Global ID 32225
sex male
birthdate 1890-01-10 <<<<<<
division welterweight
country Belgium
residence Liege, Liege, Belgium
won 15 (KO 2) + lost 10 (KO 1) + drawn 1 = 26
rounds boxed 388 KO% 7.69

his picture is on GOOGLE

KINGSMILL

KINGSMILL Report 12 Jun 2012 08:34

IN EQUITY. (Before Mr. Justice Harvey.) BONDI BATHS LEASE. Condon v Domlen.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954) Thursday 31 July 1919 p 4 Article
... IN EQUITY. (Before Mr. Justice Harvey.) BONDI BATHS LEASE. Condon v Demlen. In this case, in which Thomas Christian Con- don, the plaintiff, sued Henri Demlen, the defendant, de- fendant, in connection with the lease of the Bondi Swimming Baths, his Honor reserved judgment. ... 773 words

-----------------------------------------
UK Incoming Passenger Lists,
Name: Henri Demlen
Birth: abt 1889
Departure: Brisbane, Australia
Arrival: 25 Jun 1921 - London, England
Other: Sydney

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Jun 2012 08:41

there are these passenger records at findmypast for the surname

DEMLEN Gaby 1887 F 1915 London Australia Sydney
DEMLEN H 1891 M 1915 London Australia Sydney
DEMLEN Henry 1889 M 1924 London Australia Sydney
DEMLEN John 1897 M 1920 Southampton USA New York

Gaby and 'H' apparently did not travel together

Ancestry shows them as 'Mr H' and "Mrs G'

'H' is Henri ? he is probably also the Henry who travelled in 1924 ?

He and Doris did not marry in NSW ? no marriage or death records for the surname there.

edit, misspelled, found by given names only

8232/1921
DEMLEM HENRI
HAYMAN DORIS K
WAVERLEY

Amein had been anglicised to Hayman?

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Jun 2012 15:34

Hi Betty, to reply to messages here (unless it is personal information that should be kept private), just use the box down at the bottom (rather than click 'send message' which sends a private message only the person it is sent to can see).

I'll copy your message here since it isn't sensitive information.

Hi Evie,
Henri Demlin (m) married my grandmother on 18 th April 1921 in Waverley Doris Hayman read Amein her father was Sillian Amein born in Lucknow, India , I have been told that they changed there name from Amein to Hayman , so it would not sound so foreign. I have no idea where my grandfather or my great grandfather lived or died.
Thank you so much for trying to help me.
Kind regards
Betty

I think we are all at as much of a loss as you are here unfortunately !

Information on line about Henri dates from before his marriage only.

There will be an agency in Australia where adoptees and their families can register their interest in contact, I'm sure. Have you tried that, in case the other daughters are looking for their family?

Here is some information google finds

http://www.bensoc.org.au/postadoption/director/searchandreunion.cfm

http://www.bensoc.org.au/postadoption/director//searchandreunion/otherpeople.cfm

'Siblings

There are two main groups of siblings for the purposes of post-adoption legislation:
Birth siblings who were placed for adoption into different adoptive families
Non-adopted siblings of an adoptee who were raised within their birth family
See the Information Sheet ‘Siblings and adoption’ below for more information.'

and the NSW government website

http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/parents_carers_and_families/fostering_and_adoption/adoption/past_adoptions.html?s=1585270109

You probably know that Doris had a sister but I have had no luck searching NSW records for her (marriage or death)

28828/1901
AMEIN DORIS K
father SILLEMAN
mother KATHLEEN
SYDNEY

40391/1906
AMEIN HAZEL V
father SULLIMAN
mother KATHLEEN
WATERLOO

I thought that maybe if she had children they would have known their aunt Doris ...

I am sure that members here will wrack their brains a little more to see whether there is anything that might help.

One thing that I do not have access to that others do, I think, is Australian historical electoral rolls. Or, you can contact your local library about the 'ask a librarian' service and request a search for Henri and Doris in those records.

If you use the edit link on your first post and add 'Australia' to your subject line it could help attract knowledgeable eyes to your message.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Jun 2012 15:45

I wonder whether this is the death of Doris's mother

28335/1969
HAYMAN KATHLEEN LUCY
father WILLIAM
mother ANN JANE
BURWOOD

the death certificate should give information about her marriage and children.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Jun 2012 16:05

Betty -- do you know the Lorraine who posted this thread ??

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/ancestors/amein/thread/1233156

She talks about Hazel and Doris.

Someone named Maureen also replied that she is searching the same family.

You could send them private messages (the same way you sent one to me) to try to contact them, if they are not people you know already.

according to the information in that thread (from a newspaper memorial) this death is a sister of Doris

11439/1921
AMIENS IVY V V
father SULLIVAN
mother KATHLEEN
NEWTOWN

... Betty it is only fair to mention that you are posting elsewhere and asking for help with this too because this means you have (at least) two sets of people possibly doing the same work to help you ... you can see from the times on my posts that I have been spending some time here ...

http://boards.ancestry.com.au/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=10214&p=localities.oceania.australia.general

someone there found Shirley's marriage

This looks like a marriage for one of your mother's sisters:

21328/1941 SUNDVALL ROBERT / DEMLEN SHIRLEY DENICE / SYDNEY

Robert died in 1982 aged 63 in NSW; he was Norwegian. See Ryerson Index (ryersonindex.net/search.php). This well help you identify the place where it appears there is still family living in NSW...see www.whitepages.com.au/resSearch.do

NAA Recordsearch states that Shirley was born in France, but was Norwegian by marriage and that she arrived in Australia in 1922.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 12 Jun 2012 16:36

Shirley remarried

15157/1949
PEDERSEN GUNNAR WERNER
SUNDVALL SHIRLEY DENISE
SYDNEY

There are no death records for them to 1981 or remarriages to 1961 and I do not see their names in the death notices at http://www.ryerson.org

There is a GW Pedersen in the Australian white pages but living with a VJ.

http://www.whitepages.com.au

You put information in the Ancestry thread about the passenger records for H Demlen that I 'found' here ...

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 13 Jun 2012 03:35

Betty, this is why no marriage can be found for Doris's parents.

28828/1901
NEARY
DORIS K
mother KATHLEEN
SYDNEY

18752/1904
NEARY IVY V
mother KATHLEEN
SYDNEY

40391/1906
NEARY HAZELY
mother KATHLEEN
WATERLOO

14328/1898
NEARY FLORENCE G
mother KATHLEEN A
NEWTOWN

The parents weren't married. The children, or at least two of them, were registered in both the mother's and the father's surname. (Note that the registration numbers are the same on Hazel's and Kathleen's duplicate registrations.)

Florence (who probably had a different father) married as Neary:

10355/1920
DEVRIES JOHANNES (VRIES JOHANNES DE)
NEARY FLORENCE G
SYDNEY

I would wonder whether this was mother Kathleen marrying after the births of the four girls:

13929/1910
BAGO SAIGH (SAIGH BAGO)
NEARY KATHLEEN
WATERLOO

Oh, and I have reinvented the wheel, that is all in the older thread on this forum that I referred you to.

Any ideas about that, are you in touch with that person?

I neglected to reply to your private message -- I will, and will you reply using the box down at the bottom of the thread? That way we can all see it! :)

Betty

Betty Report 13 Jun 2012 18:37

Hi Evie,
Thank you so much for all the information. I certainly have a lot to work on.
Betty.