Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for half sister.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jul 2013 12:08

I have recently been informed that I may have a half sister who was fathered by my Dad during a liaison he had with a lady by the name of Dora Arnell. My Dad was married to my Mum at the time. He took Dora up to his relatives in Newcastle from Burnley. Eventually the relationship with her came to an end and he returned to my Mum. I believe however that Dora had a baby girl called Margaret, born between 1948-1952. My Dad bought a pram and baby things for them.It is said that the baby was born in Burnley. My Dad's name was David Mitchell, and my Mum Alice. I can't be sure how accurate the dates, names, or even the sex of the baby are as anyone with that information has taken it to their grave. I have tried all ways to find out about this lady and her baby, to no avail. I'm hoping this may ring a bell with someone out there who may be able to help. Thankyou for taking the time to read this. :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jul 2013 12:09

Use freebmd to look for a birth

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jul 2013 12:17

Oops, sorry, not sure what I have done here. I'm new to all this. It would seem I may have clicked on something accidentally, so sorry. :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Jul 2013 12:19

Don't worry - just delete the other thread - the site may have been on a go-slow making you think it hadn't taken ;-)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1328302

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Jul 2013 12:26

Use the link to freebmd which Reggie has posted.

Select births
To start with, put Arnell in both the surname and maiden name box
Choose the year parameters as you see fit
Lancashire as the county.

If you do find one, click on the page number in the result. That will tell you the names of other children listed on the same page. Hopefully one of them will have surname Mitchell and mmn Arnell if he attended the registration.

Try repeating the search with surname Mitchell and mmn Arnell.

If Dora wasn't an Arnell, or that wasn't her maiden name its almost impossible to find the birth

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Jul 2013 12:33

There was a Dora Arnell who was born in 1926 in Newcastle.

Louise Wise (Member No. 687668) has someone of that name listed in their tree. Worth contacting her perhaps?

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jul 2013 13:51

Hello again. I had tried to post a message then realised I had to pay to join, so left the message , paid my fee, then went back and posted my message (again) as I couldn't see it showing up. I'm a bit of a Luddite on the computer with new stuff and not sure what these threads are,but my husband will be back from golf later on so I'll enlist his help. Thankyou sooooo much for the information you have sent, and for the helpful tips. I am really grateful for this. I shall familiarise myself with the set up and follow the leads you have given me. :-)

jax

jax Report 20 Jul 2013 14:22

Who did you have to pay a fee to join?

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Jul 2013 15:30

Genes Reunited.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jul 2013 09:23

Not one birth in Burnley with MMN Arnell

Try using freebmd (as detailed above) looking for Arnell - Margaret with MMN Arnell

There is one result, but it doesn't fit with regard to year and location..........however, as you have said, the info you have been given may not be 100% accurate

Your problem is that, as your father is unlikely to have been named on the cert, you will have difficulty in proving the relationship