Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nichol/Brough family West Cumbria

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 2 Oct 2013 10:31

I'm trying to track down members of the Nichol/Brough family who were based in West Cumbria from the 1940s originating from West Gorton in Lancashire. Believe there are a number of cousins in their 60s who may still be alive. Would be very grateful for any information about the family particularly my grandfather (name, DOB and DOD can be provided) who was Chief Steward in Merchant Navy during WW2.

Many thanks in anticipation

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Oct 2013 15:06

Look in 'search all trees' to find possible connections on GR.

Do some research using freebmd............

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Cumbria didn't exist until 1974..........so were your relatives in Cumberland......or Westmorland?

As your grandfather is deceased, there's no need to be coy about his details............post them on here, so that people can try to help you.

Although, unless anyone actually knew him, the info you have about him will be all you can get

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Oct 2013 15:10

From the aforementioned freebmd

Marriages Sep 1947 (>99%)
Brough Hilda Nichol Whitehaven 1a 416
Nichol John Brough Whitehaven 1a 416

Five children...all recorded on freebmd

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Oct 2013 15:20

The elder of their daughters is in the phone book...........

Alison

Alison Report 2 Oct 2013 17:47

Thank you for your help.

I had previously found all the information you provided through free BMD records but had come to a dead end - these are the relatives I am trying to find. As I was looking for living relatives, I assumed they knew that West Cumbria was Cumberland, as some of them may still be there (I was originally from that area too).

It is not a case of being coy about my grandfather, I was just providing information that these relatives would know if they wanted to ask me to verify who I was - more a case of being sensitive towards living relatives, not knowing the details of events that had happened with previous generation(s). More to enable them to contact me if wished.

Incidentally, my side of the family would love to make contact with these relatives, and hope they do to.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Oct 2013 12:36

You need to search trees, get the known names on the internet, and proactively search other sources.

Although it has been known, its unlikely that they will stumble upon your post. :-0

If/when you do find contact details, write them a letter. They then have time to decide if they want to reply.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Oct 2013 16:27

'Coy' was perhaps the wrong word.........................I just meant that there was no reason not to post the details.

Only info about living people needs to be restricted on here.

And if you post the info, there is always the slight chance that someone using google will stumble across your message

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Oct 2013 16:28

The elder of the daughters is almost certainly in the phone book..............in Carlisle

But, for all I know, she could be your mother.

Which of John & Hilda's children is your parent?

Do you have all the deceased members of your family in your tree on GR?

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 4 Oct 2013 21:01

I'd be interested to hear if you can trace back the family to Gorton. My OH's Broughs are from there, they had a coachbuilding company in the mid to late 1800's, but none of those I have followed seem to have ended up in Cumbria.

patchem

patchem Report 4 Oct 2013 22:25

Hilda Brough was apparently born in Salford, grannyfranny.

Possibly her father was George Brough, 1888, place of birth unknown.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 4 Oct 2013 22:37

Thanks patchem, I'll make a note.