Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

looking for any relations of evelyn mary Riley

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

greenbird

greenbird Report 20 Nov 2013 19:48

I was born gillian Riley on the 6/3/48 at at linkfield house batts hill redhill Surrey, my biological mother was or is is evelyn mary Riley, I was put up for adoption not long after my birth and I would like to find anyone of evelyns family so we may exchange any information, I have no wish to cause any problems to any member of the family but to find my roots and home, :-)

patchem

patchem Report 20 Nov 2013 20:07

Have you got any further information about your Mother from your adoption file?

Thanks.

Added:
Cannot see any marriage for her in that area of the country.

greenbird

greenbird Report 20 Nov 2013 20:23

She married a lional hodgkinson in 1954 in Nottingham, I have seen her once way back on the early 1980 but she rdfused to say she was my mother infact she said she was told her child was still born and when I phoned the number she had given me told me my mother didnt want to speak to me, I am not sure if her new family was told of my existance till she, lional and youngest son came all the way down from Nottingham to say that I was not her daughter :-)

patchem

patchem Report 20 Nov 2013 20:49

Do you mean that you want to find out about Evelyn's parents to help with your family tree?

Have you got her marriage certificate for the name of her father, and have you worked out her birth year?

Possible you should remove her husband's name, but just leave that marriage year and place.(For privacy)

She was showing on 192.com until about 2004 in Nottingham.

patchem

patchem Report 20 Nov 2013 20:51

Were you aware of this?

18th August 2004
HODGKINSON
EVELYN MARY
Passed away peacefully
on the 18th of August,
aged 72 years.
Reunited with Lionel and granddaughter Susan.

patchem

patchem Report 20 Nov 2013 21:04

You have her as born in Essex in your tree on here.

Is this not more likely?
Evelyn M Riley
Mother's Maiden Surname: Cooke
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1932
Registration District: Birmingham N. Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume Number: 6d Page Number: 735

jax

jax Report 20 Nov 2013 21:16

Where has Gidea Park come from? which I would think came under Romford back then

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

greenbird

greenbird Report 20 Nov 2013 21:21

No I wasnt aware of it at all thank you for finding this out for me, oh dear that puts a different slant on things I am not sure where to go from here, i know that her daughter married and is on genes reunited but I am not sure I should contact her or not, I have a copy of the marriage certificate of my biological mother and her father was Frederick riley and she was born in 1932 as she was only 16when she had me in 1948 :-0

greenbird

greenbird Report 20 Nov 2013 21:28

On my birth certificate my mother was a green groceries assistant with the address of 123 balgores lane gidea park essex also on the adoption certificates from the juvenile court in Sutton says her add was 123 balgores lane gidea park essex

greenbird

greenbird Report 20 Nov 2013 21:32

It is possible she wasnt born in Essex but as I only had the minimal information I presumed that she had been born in Essex :-) :-)

jax

jax Report 20 Nov 2013 22:02

I know Balgores Lane...seems a long way from Birmingham and Nottingham...then to go to surrey to give birth to you.

You could always check to see who lived at that address if you contact Romford main Library...obviously she wasn't old enough to vote but she may have been with her parents.....

There is a Evelyn M Riley born Romford 1927

jax

jax Report 20 Nov 2013 22:37

Are you sure the Evelyn born 1932 is your mother?

This is the 1911 with Clifford John Riley who was the father of Evelyn born 1927

The family business was a Grocers in Brentwood road...which I think from memory is not far from Balgores lane

Household transcription
1911 census

Printer friendly version Report transcription change Search criteria used
Person: RILEY, Clifford John
Address: 1 Park Stores Brentwood Road Romford

Yrs married Sex Age Birth Year Occupation Where born Image
RILEY, Harris John Head Married M 40 1871 Grocers London VIEW
RILEY, Ellen Wife Married14 years F 35 1876 Domestic London VIEW
RILEY, Clifford John Son M 12 1899 Schoolboys Essex Romford VIEW
RILEY, Doris Daughter F 8 1903 Schoolgirl Essex Romford VIEW

Edit - Just looked on Google maps and Yes Brentwood road runs from Romford to Gidea Park crossing over Balgores lane....so a bit of a coincidence...rather than someone born Birmingham with the same name living in Romford

patchem

patchem Report 20 Nov 2013 22:43

Just that 1932 would appear to be her birth year:
Evelyn Mary Hodgkinson
Birth Date: 1 Feb 1932
Date of Registration: Aug 2004
Age at Death: 72
Registration District: Nottingham
Inferred County: Nottinghamshire
Register Number: C92A
District and Subdistrict: 689/1C
Entry number: 113

So do you think it is the wrong marriage?

greenbird

greenbird Report 20 Nov 2013 22:46

Well my birth certificate definitely states my mother was evelyn mary Riley a green grocers assistant and the address was 123 balgores lane gidea park essex and my adoption paper from the juvenile courts in Sutton definitely state my mother was evelyn mary Riley address of 123 balgores lane gidea park essex

jax

jax Report 20 Nov 2013 22:50

Do you have anywhere that says she is 16 or are you just guessing that?

Are you saying this could not be your mother?

Name: RILEY, Evelyn M
Registration district: [?] Romford
County: Essex
Year of registration: 1927
Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Mother's maiden name: Eve
Volume no:[?]4A
Page no:[?]891

greenbird

greenbird Report 20 Nov 2013 22:50

And as she was only 16when she had me counting back takes me to 1932 :-)

greenbird

greenbird Report 20 Nov 2013 22:55

Well from what I was told she was 16 and had me at the denmark nursing home which became linkfield house I have all that documentation but it dosnt give any indication of her age :-)

greenbird

greenbird Report 20 Nov 2013 23:00

And as she was only 16when she had me counting back takes me to 1932 :-) and when another peson looked this up a little while ago it was the same names up in Nottingham that seems to keep coming up

jax

jax Report 20 Nov 2013 23:05

You just said

'but it dosnt give any indication of her age'

so why think she was the one born 1932... 130+ miles away from Romford?

greenbird

greenbird Report 20 Nov 2013 23:11

All I know is that she came from gidea park to have me in redhill Surrey as the birth certificate and my adoption papers give her address as that :-(