Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Descendents of Robert H Roberts and Lydia Leisk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rozanne

Rozanne Report 29 Apr 2014 01:56

Robert H Roberts and Lydia Leisk were married in Calcutta in 1929. In 1949 they moved to England. He is a son of Frank a Roberts and Emma Edwards. What I really want to know is if Emma is daughter of my grandfather Frederick Joseph Edwards who served in India and was married to Anne King there.

patchem

patchem Report 29 Apr 2014 06:53

Have you got any birth years for Robert and Lydia, and any information about where and when died?

Thanks

Added:
Is this Lydia:
All baptisms solemnized at St James,Church, Calcutta 1900.
11 March; 4 Feb 1900; Lydia Beatrice d/o Charles John & Agnes Dolly LEISK; 22 Middle Road; Printer, Calcutta Exchange Gazette

She might be in 3 trees on here, to see if tree owners know about the family

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Apr 2014 09:14

Was your grandfather really born c1860 or earlier? This is calculated assuming Robert was born c1900, then Emma c1880.

Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Apr 2014 09:40

Frederick Joseph Edwards
India, Births and Baptisms, 1786-1947
birth: 14 August 1881
christening: 2 September 1881 Allahabad, Bengal, India
residence: 1881 Bengal, India
father: Frederick Edwards
mother: Ann Jane

Randolph Frederick Gayvivian Edwards
birth: 20 October 1891
christening: 3 March 1892 Poona, Bombay, India
residence: 1891 Bombay, India
mother: Anne Jane

Walter Edward Edwards
birth: 26 November 1883
christening: 8 December 1883 Peshawar, Bengal, India
father: Frederick Joseph Edwards
mother: Anna Jane

Emma Edwards
birth: 28 December 1885
christening: 13 January 1886 Sanawar, Bengal, India
residence: 1885 Bengal, India
mother: Anne Jane

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Apr 2014 09:42

Name: Frederick Edwards
Birth Date: 1852
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Ann Jane Swingler
Spouse's Birth Date: 1853
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age: 26
Event Date: 26 Aug 1879
Event Place: Allahabad, Bengal, India
Father's Name: Walter Edwards
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name: James King

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M75027-9
System Origin: India-EASy
GS Film number: 510860
Reference ID: 510-860

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Apr 2014 09:45

Name: Frank Anthony Roberts
Birth Date: 1881
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Emma Edwards
Spouse's Birth Date: 1886
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age: 14********************************
Event Date: 05 Jan 1900
Event Place: Lahore, Bengal, India
Father's Name: H. Robert Haviland
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name: Frederick Edwards

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M75065-8
GS Film number: 512380
Reference ID: Film 512-380

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Apr 2014 09:47

ALL of the info I have posted is from the familysearch site, which is free...............put it in your favourites for future use

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Apr 2014 09:51

Name: James Swingler

Spouse's Name: Annie Jane King

Event Date: 10 Mar 1878
Event Place: Allahabad , Bengal, India
Father's Name: John Swingler
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name: James King

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M75027-2
GS Film number: 510855

Rozanne

Rozanne Report 29 Apr 2014 16:49

Reggie, I do have all this information. Here's what I am trying to figure out. My grandfather Frederick J Edwards (1852, Stratford, Essex) left India in 1889. Did he leave without his wife Anne and daughter Emma? (The 2 boys died young as did Anne's daughter with James Swingler.) Did she give birth to Randolph and use Fred's name as father? If Anne stayed in India, when did she die? Family mysteries. (My grandfather married twice more. My father was the youngest of 12 from the 3rd marriage, born only 2 1/2 years before his father died.)

Rozanne

Rozanne Report 29 Apr 2014 17:12

Reply to Rose. My grandfather was born in 1852 in Stratford, Essex, went to India in 1873, returned to England in 1889, married twice more, moved to Canada in 1908.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 May 2014 08:38

Your original question...............

"What I really want to know is if Emma is daughter of my grandfather Frederick Joseph Edwards who served in India and was married to Anne King there".

Why didn't you say at the start that you had all the info I used my time to find?

What is your reason for thinking that the Frederick on familysearch (with NO recorded second forename) is the man who was your grandfather?

Do you have a copy of the cert of his second 'marriage'? Who did he marry?

I can't see a record for him travelling to Canada in 1908 - who was with him?

Rozanne

Rozanne Report 1 May 2014 14:45

Reggie, I truly apologize for not giving more info. I am new at this message board thing, obviously. I've researched my grandfather quite a bit and have quite a bit of documentation so am pretty sure he is the husband of Anne King who married a Swingler. Emma who married at 14 appears to have been their daughter. My grandfather returned to England in about 1889 and lived with Mary Warne and had 2 children with her before marrying her in 1895 (record is spelled Worne) just before she died following a miscarriage. He married my grandmother Clara Shackell in 1896. They travelled to Canada with several children in 1908. The mystery is what happened to his wife in India. Did she stay there with Emma? There is family lore that his wife in India "ran around" and he was asked to leave the army. He did leave at not much under 20 years. I guess I am hoping a descendent of Frank and Emma Roberts could clear this up. My grandfather was a carpenter by the way on many records. Frederick Edwards is a very common name though I realize. Thank you for your help. You are kind to help people like this.

Rozanne