Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost my entire Paternal family

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jonathan

Jonathan Report 21 Jul 2014 19:48

My name is Jonathan Robert Beale, born in Yeovil, Somerset on 2nd May 1987.

My Father wont talk to me, and I have no way of contacting my paternal family without his help. He won't help so the only thing left is to attempt a search myself. He hasn't spoken to me in 5 years so i don't think it's something easily fixed, I have tried, and have done nothing wrong, he just won't talk to me or put me in contact with family.

I am searching for 3 relatives. My sister, my uncle, and my grandfather.

My sister was born Sally Maureen Mason in Aug 1993, in Yeovil Hospital, and was adopted into a new family at 1 year old. I lost contact with her completely. They may have changed her name.

My father was John Stuart Mason, born in Worth valley in west yorkshire riding in 1964. My mother is Rosemary Alice Beale, born in yeovil, Somerset, in Jan 1961. They never officially married.

My father had one brother, Richard James Mason, who went by the name Jamie some times.He was born in Buckrose in 1972.

My Grand father was John Mason, and married Maureen Mason, formally Mauren Higgins I believe, according to my searches through birth and marriage records. They emmigrated to South Africa from Yorkshire, until my grandmother died in 2006, when I heard that my grandfather moved to Yorkshire.

I am desperate to get in contact with them.

My grandfather is the first priority, as he has diabetes and lost a leg due to it. I dont want to lose any chance of ever getting to know him properly.

My uncle is the second priority as he may be able to help me find my grandfather.

My sister is the lowest priority. It would mean the world to me to find her but there is more time in comparison with my grandfather.

Any help to find any of them would be amazing, I would forever be in your debt. Its such a common name that its impossible to find.

Let me know any info that is needed

Many thanks

patchem

patchem Report 21 Jul 2014 20:49

You forgot to mention that your grandfather has a middle name:

Marriages Sep 1962
HIGGINS Maureen MASON Ewecross
MASON John H HIGGINS Ewecross

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Jul 2014 01:07

Might be worth purchasing this to see how old Maureen was and get her father's names. You might be able to track down some of her siblings.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Jul 2014 01:15

Where did Maureen die? There's a death in 2006 in Yorkshire for a Maureen Mason born 1935.

It could correspond to this birth:

Births Mar 1935
Higgins Maureen Higgins Rotherham 9c 912

Rose

Jonathan

Jonathan Report 22 Jul 2014 09:02

I have ordered my fathers birth certificate and my grand parents marriage certificate so hopefully that will bring us some information. I did come accross that death certificate but cannot be sure if it's my granma as she may have died in south africa.

I have found another clue that has helped me track my grandparents a bit more. Her email was mmason@bullion.org.za

When I google her email, it bnrings up some of her online activity. It seems my grandfather wrote this article, almost definitely it was him, that does contain some of their details from when they were in south africa and a glimpse of his yorkshire past:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/local-stories/pennine-pioneer-spirit-1-2380835

I looked up bullion.org.za and it redirected me to the chamber of mines in south africa where she used to work. i sent them an email and it was forwarded a few times until i received this email:

Hi Jonathan
I remember Maureen Mason well , she worked for me at the chamber for 12 years.

I did have john’s details at one time , but he went back to the UK about 5 years ago.
He is somewhere is Yorkshire. He said he ask going home to where he and Maureen used to live when they were young.

I will look in my old files at home and see if I have a contract telephone. He was not on email , I recall.

Regards
Simon Orchardson
MPAS Secretariat

Its not conclusive but its another piece to the puzzle

As soon as I get the information from the birth certificate and marriage certificate I will let you know. I will like to find my great grand parents once that is done as maybe that will reveal some more clues. If anyone else is able to dig anything at all up, or even if you look at a dead end and wish to inform us to remove repetition and to cross things off the list, please let me know. If anyone has a suggested plan or suggestion but doesn't have time to do it, let me know and I am happy to look into it.

Based on the email above, my grandfather moved back to yorkshire to somewhere he was in earlier life. I have tried phoning J Masons from the BT online directory. I tried keighley and a few other places but noone knew him. Its a really common name in yorkshire unfortunately. If anyone has time to help call around some masons in yorkshire that will also be greatly helpful as its hard for me to get through them all alone. I know he has some family there. He may be ex directory or someone elses name may be regietered so its not definite I can even find him but it seemed like another line of enquiry worth trying.

One final clue, my mother has questionable memory, so this information should be taken as not definite at all, but she recalls my great grandmother had married someone called horris haynsworth in a second marriage, and that he lived in pudsey. He may have left his house to my grandparents.

I'm feeling like finding my grandfather will be next to impossible. I hope I am wrong. My uncle Jamie (Richard James Mason) had been in and out of prison in younger life for drug offences. He wasn't a hardened criminal, was a nice guy but used to enjoy his psychdelic drugs and got locked up a few times. So I don't know if he will be around on social media, phone directories etc. I heard he came out of prison and was in London, I don't if that was for a visit or he moved there. Finding him may help me find my grandfather if he is willing to help me locate him. My uncle could be in London, Johannasberg, Yorkshire, Prison, could be anywhere.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Jul 2014 17:39

Who married Horace? A great grandmother who was a Higgins or Mason?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Jul 2014 17:43

Found it!

Horace A Hainsworth married Annie E Higgins in 1973 in Buckrose.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Jul 2014 18:18

Walter Hitchenor mentioned in that article is in the phone book. Seeing as John remembers his details quite clearly, he might be in contact.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Jul 2014 21:30

Hi Jonathan,

Unfortunately William Hitchenor died in 1997.

Great idea to document everything on here. It really helps.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Jul 2014 22:23

Trying to find a marriage for an Annie E to a Higgins and cross reference the maiden name to locate a birth for Maureen but am having no luck.

Rose

patchem

patchem Report 22 Jul 2014 22:45

Rose,

Have you found a death for Annie E Hainsworth?

Horace?
Horace Arthur Hainsworth
Birth Date: 17 May 1906
Date of Registration: Dec 1988
Age at Death: 82
Registration district: Leeds
Inferred County: Yorkshire
Volume: 5
Page: 910

patchem

patchem Report 22 Jul 2014 22:48

Just trying:
?
England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
Annie Elizabeth Hainsworth
Birth Date: 20 Dec 1903 Date of Registration: Jan 1995
Age at Death: 91
Registration district: Bradford Inferred County: Yorkshire
Register Number: B52A District and Subdistrict: 0811B Entry Number: 67

Added
?
England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
Ann Elizabeth Hainsworth
Birth Date: 23 Sep 1912 Date of Registration: Jun 1992
Age at Death: 79
Registration district: Leeds
Inferred County: Yorkshire
Volume: 5
Page: 883

patchem

patchem Report 22 Jul 2014 23:07

Annie might have been born Higgins, and Maureen was a Higgins/Higgins, and it was a first marriage to Hainsworth?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Jul 2014 23:31

Patchem,

I found some deaths but nothing that was definitive for her.

Possible Maureen could have been born in Ireland with a surname like Higgins.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Jul 2014 23:46

With John being for Hellifield, there is a possible birth for him in 1939. Hellifield came under Settle District and was later in Ewecross where he married.

Also a brother called George A.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Jul 2014 23:49

Possible parents for John.

Marriages Jun 1937

Mason George T Reynolds Skipton 9a 92
Reynolds Margaret B Mason Skipton 9a 92

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Jul 2014 23:55

Two people have John Mason born Hellifield in 1939 in trees on this site!

Go to Search at the top and select Search All Member Trees to contact them.

Rose

Mary

Mary Report 23 Jul 2014 09:52

George Thomas Mason 16/1/1903 to Alice
Mason 1875 daughter of David and Mary.

George Thomas died 1977 Bradford.
Margaret Baird Mason nee Reynolds 30/3/1914 died June 1976 reg Bradford died in Ilkley.
They had 4 boys.Including David 25/9/1941 Hellifield died 1989.Ewecross

Some info off ancestry tree.Please check.

Maryb.

Jonathan

Jonathan Report 23 Jul 2014 10:18

My grandfather once mentioned to me a family tradition of having the name baird in the middle name of the family, so this certainly rings a bell. Its not definite but its a lead. Which user has that tree and is it possible for us to contact them? Is anyone able to message them with a link to this thread to ask them if they know John Mason or even potential cousins, aunties, uncles, nephews, second cousins etc

Mary

Mary Report 23 Jul 2014 11:20

Maybe try contacting yourself, I'm sure they can give you more info if you ask nicely!

Maryb.