Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Slack family Padbury Lodge

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 9 Jun 2016 19:48

Hello,
My name is Bob Osborn, I am part of a project from Padbury looking all that served in WWI.
As a separate project I have taken it upon myself to start looking at those that served in WW2.
Roger Slack is one of these people, he is remembered on the roll of honour in Padbury church, but this gives no bmd records, or anything about his family & life.
I do know that the family were still in Padbury Lodge in 1940, as per an article in the local paper.
Obviously I have no idea of your relationship to him, or what in formation, if any that you have.
When we have collated all the information about those from WW1, we intend to publish this in some form, as a permanent record, this is when I will suggest doing the same for those that served in WW2.
Anything that you can tell me would be appreciated.
Bob

patchem

patchem Report 9 Jun 2016 20:31

There are only 2 births for 'Roger Slack' on free bmd from 1880 to 1930:

Births Sep 1908
Slack Roger E. Ward 10b 760
(think he dies 1978)

Births Mar 1919
Slack Roger D Johnson Runcorn 8a 244
(marries 1944, Somerset, probably dies 2007)

E Ward is Westmorland and Runcorn is Cheshire/Lancashire, so neither local.....

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

patchem

patchem Report 9 Jun 2016 20:35

So is Roger his second name?

patchem

patchem Report 9 Jun 2016 20:39

Have you looked for the Slack family in 1939, for names:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jun 2016 20:50

?????

Slack Household (5 People) Radbury Lodge , Buckingham R.D., Buckinghamshire, England

First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Arthur Slack 10 Sep 1887 Male Director Retired Married 10 1
Elsie Victoria Slack 04 Jul 1887 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 10 2
Arthur James Slack 02 Jun 1915 Male Veterinary Student Single 10 3
Then a closed image
Margaret Newns (Nains) 25 Dec 1884 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Widowed 10 5
Then a closed image
~??? Hancock (March) 07 Feb 1922 Female Domestic Servant Single 10 7

Ref: RG101/2142F/002/34 Letter Code: DWGP© Findmypast Ltd

The transcription is linked to PADBURY rather than Radbury.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jun 2016 20:54

Arthurs birth

Births Sep 1915 (>99%)
Slack Arthur J Johnson Bucklow 8a 315

Its certainly a possibility that Arthur and Roger are brothers.

Parent's marriage?
ARTHUR
Last name SLACK
Marriage quarter 3
Marriage year 1913
Registration month -
MarriageFinder™ ARTHUR SLACK married
ELSIE V JOHNSON
Spouse's last name JOHNSON
District NORTHWICH
District number -
County Cheshire
Country England
Volume 8A
Page 781

Robert

Robert Report 9 Jun 2016 22:13

Thank you all very much, with the information that you have supplied, & a little bit more research on my part we have him.
Born 1912
s/o Arthur & Elsie.
Brother of Arthur.

patchem

patchem Report 9 Jun 2016 22:32

If he was born in 1912, then that is before Arthur and Elsie were married....

Kay????

Kay???? Report 9 Jun 2016 22:34

We regret record the death of Mrs. Gore-Langton, of Padbury Lodge, which occurred on Monday. The deceased lady was the widow of
08 February 1935 - Bucks Herald - Aylesbury, Buckingham.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUDGERIGARS for sale; first year; all colours. Slack, Padbury Lodge, Padbury.
13th May 1939.

Victoria

Victoria Report 6 Sep 2017 21:07

Hi Bob
I was doing some research and came across this. Roger was my uncle. I wasn't sure what info you are looking for, If you still need info give me a shout.

I hadn't realised he was on the role of honour in Padbury Church.

I also thought Gene's Renited had vanished. so we will see what happens to my reply.

Vicki

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Sep 2017 21:35

Victoria, as it's a year since Robert posted he may not be looking for replies, click on his name to send a message.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Sep 2017 21:38

GR is still around! Perhaps you were thinking of Friendsreunited? Although they were originally part of the same stable, GR is now owned by a subsidiary of D C Thompson.

You could try contacting Robert by sending him a PM by clicking on his name. If he's still using the same registered email address, he'll be notified & will be able to reply to you off board.

As many of us may not be around in 2039, it's well worth recording our memories of those who died 1939-1945/6.

patchem

patchem Report 6 Sep 2017 22:08

Could you also confirm his birth date - was it 1912?

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 7 Sep 2017 06:31

Looks like he was the 1919 birth:

Northampton Mercury - Friday 19 August 1949

PADBURY FUNERAL

Representatives of the Women s Institute and Mothers’ Union were present at the funeral service In Padhurv parish church for Mrs Elsie Victoria Slack (62) wife of Mr. Arthur Slack, The Orchard Padbury.

Mrs Slack had lived in Padbury for 11 years. She and her husband lost their former home by fire and had narrow escapes from the windows.

Canon Luckman (vicar) conducted the service, and family mourners were Mr. Arthur Slack (widower), Dr. Roger Slack, Mr James Slack and Miss Margaret Slack (sons and daughter) Mr Brodie Thompson.

Among the other mourners were representatives of the Mothers Union, Padbury W. I the Paroclal church Council and Messrs. Pinchin. Johnson and Associates. Ltd.
----------------------------------------

Buckingham Advertiser and Free Press - Saturday 15 January 1944

MARRIAGES SLACK—PETTER—On January 5th, 1944 at Holy Trinity Church, Yeovil, by Rev. J. A. Lloyd Armstrong, Surg./ Lieut. Roger Dutton Slack, R.N.V.K.. younger son of Mr. and Mrs. A. Slack, of Padbury. Bucks, to Janet Elizabeth Potter, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Potter, of Yeovil.

patchem

patchem Report 7 Sep 2017 07:59

I thought he had died in WW2 -hence my confusion.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 7 Sep 2017 08:16

Yes Patchem, I too read the original post as that he had died- but from the information given it appears he lived for many years.

Perhaps it is a plaque to honour those from Padbury that served, or to honour their achievements, rather than to honour the fallen?

patchem

patchem Report 7 Sep 2017 09:11

I think there is already a roll of honour - see initial post.

Possibly it is a project to give insight into those from Padbury who served and their backgrounds. The people become 'more real' as you read about who they married, where they went, what they then did with their lives after they had left their war duties behind.