Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Douglas, James and David Emslie

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 13 Aug 2017 17:36

Can anyone help with possible marriages perhaps in England for Douglas Graham Emslie - born 1945, James Given(?) Emslie - born 1947 and David Sloan Emslie - born 1949. All were born in Belfast, N. Ireland but having difficulty tracking them down. Can't find Marriages or Deaths in Scottish records.

Thank you.

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Aug 2017 18:20

Margaret have you definitely ruled out then that they may have married in NI, I remember that you asked.

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Aug 2017 20:25

Who were their parents? It might be possible to trace them and therefore sons likely location?

Margaret

Margaret Report 13 Aug 2017 22:22

Thank you for trying to help Nyx.

As the records in N. Ireland for years likely to be involved are not available online, I thought would try to rule out Scottish and English records until such time as might be able to visit N. Ireland in person - could be a very long time!

Parents were Douglas Haig Emslie and Agnes Margaret Sloan who divorced 1957. Douglas was then resident Scotland but Agnes was in Londonderry which may have meant children grew up there.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Aug 2017 07:31

Not seeing them on any marriage or electoral roll records

Edit the England and Wales records

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 Aug 2017 11:48

One possibility perhaps is that their mother remarried and their surnames changed?

If you look on electoral rolls here just using first and middle names, there are a few possibles for David Sloan with different surnames, one being Gillespie in Northern Ireland also matches for a James Given, surname Gillespie...could of course be unconnected but it might be worth looking at?

Margaret

Margaret Report 14 Aug 2017 16:42

Thank you Nyx. Your suggestion sounds really worthwhile me checking out especially if I get over to N. Ireland.

Thank you also to Shirley - I assume the marriage and electoral rolls you mentioned were the English ones which I haven't been able to access?

Margaret

Margaret Report 14 Aug 2017 16:48

Sorry Nyx but meant to also ask if you are able to let me know which areas of N. Ireland you found the names on electoral rolls ? I'm assuming all the ones you found were N. Ireland.

Many thanks again.