Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

INFORMATION ON ELECTORAL ROLLS IN 1943

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hollyhocks

Hollyhocks Report 17 Aug 2017 19:56

I am looking to find the occupants' names at an address in London in 1943, is it possible to get the information from the Electoral Roll ? Thanks for any help.

The reason I need this information is that I have a birth certificate for a cousin being born at this address, but it was not his parents' address. He was later adopted.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Aug 2017 20:34

There were no Electoral Rolls taken during WW2 so it would be either 1939 or 1945.

If you give the address I could check on the 1939 Register on Findmypast to see who is at the address in that year, although there is no guarantee they were still there in 1943.

Kath. x

Hollyhocks

Hollyhocks Report 17 Aug 2017 20:53

Hi Kath

Thank you very much for your offer of help, the address is 29 Byron Road, Walthamstow E.17.

Kind regards

Sandra x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Aug 2017 22:15

I can't find a Byron Road, Walthamstow on the 1939 Register. There is a Byron Street in Poplar but that is all I can find and there is no number 29 there.

EDIT - you can see 29 Byron Road, Walthamstow on Google Streetview as it is still there today.

Kath. x

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 18 Aug 2017 12:27

Is Walthamstow in Essex?

I'm sure it would be this address on the 1939 register- the next road on the register is Tower Hamlets Road- which seems to fit the details on Google maps:

Walker Household 29 Byron Road , Wanstead and Woodford M.B., Essex, England

Arthur H (W) Walker 02 Jun 1903 Male Cabinet Maker Married
Dorothy E Walker 29 Jan 1900 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
Arthur W Walker 01 Mar 1925 Male At School Single

(Arthur H W Walker married Dorothy E Lynn 1924 Greenwich)
------------------------------------------

I'm not familiar with the area- there is another Byron Road in Essex (Leyton)- which is this one on the 1939 register (although I think the one above is more likely).

29 Byron Road , Leyton M.B., Essex, England

William G Housden 04 Mar 1877 Male Builder Painter Married
Bessie F Housden 10 Nov 1877 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
Henry A Housden 06 Mar 1920 Male Builder Painter Single

Hollyhocks

Hollyhocks Report 18 Aug 2017 18:47

Kath.......thank you so much for looking for the information, yes, I have looked
previously on google earth and seen the address.

AustinQ.......Thank you too for looking that information up for me, that is great.
Yes on the birth certificate it says Walthamstow, County of Essex....Registration
District Essex South Western.

Could I be really cheeky and ask if you could look on the 1945 Electoral Roll to see
if the same people were living at 29 Byron Road after the war ? Then it will confirm that they were living there in 1943 when my cousin was born.......possibly friends of my aunts.

Kind regards

Sandra x

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 18 Aug 2017 19:04

I don't think the address is under the London electoral registers on Ancestry.

I've just had a quick look on the Seax website and it has this:

http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/getpage.aspx?id=33
Leyton and Walthamstow registers from 1918 onwards and Chingford registers from 1971 onwards can be seen at the London Borough of Waltham Forest's Archives and Local Studies Library, Vestry House Museum, Vestry Road, London E17 9NH.
-----------------------------------------------

You could try emailing Waltham Forest archives with your query. Sometimes they might charge- but it's worth sending an e-mail:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/a?_ref=93

Hollyhocks

Hollyhocks Report 18 Aug 2017 19:18

Hi AustinQ

Thank you for that information, I will send an email.

Kind regards

Sandra x