Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robert & Katie Barton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gavin

Gavin Report 19 Sep 2017 20:49

Hi all I'm trying to find any living relatives of Robert Henry Barton born 27th July 1898 Hastings he was the brother of my Great grandfather we never knew about till i recently discovered him.
Sadly their mother died six days after giving birth to William his brother 14th march 1900, who ended up living with his grandparents the Rogers.

Robert was not so lucky in the 1911 census he shows up in a work house in Hastings. Then next time he is found on a boat to Canada in 1912 as was a British home child.
He then enlisted in WW1 and discharge in 1919 he then married Katie Amelia Mitchell in 1924. she was fromBristol, born i believe 1894, mother was Emma Mary Mitchell, father James H Mitchell.
They had a daughter called Rose Mary married name was Hall no idea of date of birth as found them in the Canada voters list a few times but never saw Roses husband.
Last time i find them is 1972 Brome:Missisquoi, Quebec Canada.Rose and Robert are together, but seems Katie has passed on during 1968-1972 as not with them.

Ive hit a bit of a dead wall trying to find death dates or if Rose had any children as would be amazing if had any Relatives still around On Roberts side.

Any advice or fresh eyes would be very welcome.

Regards Gavin

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Sep 2017 20:59

Gavin
Have you joined the British Home Children site on Facebook

They have a wealth of experience in Canadian home children and lots of members are descendents from BHC children

They also know how to access various Canadian records that we wouldn't be aware of

My mums elder half sister was a home child in 1909 which is why I am a member

Gavin

Gavin Report 19 Sep 2017 21:11

Yes i did that soon as i found out he was one, they helped me find his WWI record and Marriage, then i managed to track him the Canada voter list.
I have been trying to find the Mitchell side see if any living relatives but no luck as yet.
I may have just hit a dead end for now, but thought it was worth just posting on here as seems a lot more active than other places.

patchem

patchem Report 19 Sep 2017 21:46

Who is Richard, please?

'Hi all I'm trying to find any living relatives of Richard Henry Barton born 27th July 1898 '

Gavin

Gavin Report 19 Sep 2017 22:07

Sorry that was meant to be Robert Henry Barton.
Corrected it.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Sep 2017 13:39

Rose's baptism?

Rosemary Emely Barton
in the Quebec, Canada, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1968

Name:
Rosemary Emely Barton
Event:
Baptême (Baptism)
Baptism Year:
Baptism Location:
Brome, Québec (Quebec)
Religion:
Anglican
Place of Worship or Institution:
Anglican Church

Original says born 30 May 1927, daughter of Robert Henry Barton, farmer and Kate Amelia Mitchell, his wife.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Sep 2017 13:51

Kate's arrival in Canada:

Kate Amelia Mitchell
in the Canada, Ocean Arrivals (Form 30A), 1919-1924
Name:
Kate Amelia Mitchell
Estimated birth year:
abt 1894
Birth Place:
Mid Somer Norton
Date of Arrival:
Aug 1924
Port of Arrival:
Quebec
Port of Departure:
Bristol, England
Ship Name:
Melita

She married 9 August so must have known Robert Henry previously?

Gavin

Gavin Report 20 Sep 2017 14:55

Your a star finding her birth date. Be a long shot maybe she still alive.

I can't see how they would have known each other as Robert was sent to Canada in 1912 age 13. But they must off, other wise a pretty fast romance lol

I have found some living relations to Katie but no luck tracking them down yet.
Wendy H Mitchell born 1951 married Peter B Carman in 1975 in the Gloucestershire area.
Her father was the son of one of Katie brothers i think/hope.

LadyofKent

LadyofKent Report 20 Sep 2017 15:22

Found an uptodate address for Wendy H and Peter B Carman. Sending it by private message.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Sep 2017 16:55

I can't find Robert Henry on the 1921 Canada census. Surely he should be there? Was wondering if he could have gone to England for a visit and met Kate Amelia there? Just having a hard time understanding the fact that she arrived in Canada and married a complete stranger within a month.

Gavin

Gavin Report 20 Sep 2017 17:22

Im looking on the passenger list for any Robert or Henry Barton around that time see if he did travel to England.

I did find a Rose Mary Hall in the 1963 Voter list living in Montréal, Québec working as a Clerk with a James Hall also a clerk and a few other members of the Hall family maybe.
So maybe her husband but have found what might be the same person in the 1968 which would mean isn't her as she was back with her parents by then.

In the 1968 voter list she is with her parents Hall Mrs Rose-Mary Housewife would this imply her husband could be still alive then? as noticed some say widow.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Sep 2017 11:27

this all seems familiar

didnt i find the info for Kate etc on the BHC site ???

Gavin

Gavin Report 21 Sep 2017 13:55

It may have Been Robert as was on the Facebook Group.

I managed to get in contact with Katie's living relatives sadly all they knew she emigrated to Canada, So right now all i have is Rose maybe alive.

But they also told me one of Katie's Sisters also emigrated to Canada maybe if I'm really lucky she had a family that may be "fingers crossed' still living and knew what happen to the Barton's.

Not sure which one yet was either Emma A Mitchell or Dorothry A Mitchell.

Hunt is on again.