Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Holden

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 25 Sep 2017 15:39

Im trying to find any info on my grandads (mums side) of the family. My grandad was thomas william holden birthday in september not sure on year 1912? He was born in lancashire and had a sister edna holden who never married and she died in leeds not sure on year. My grandad married edna mary newill in 1938 in leeds but then he remarried to hilda massey/oakes in 1952 in leeds and they lived at 12abbotts way in garforth until hilda died. My grandad thomas remarried yet again to patrica bridges in 1993 in leeds before he emigrated to canada and he died in canada in 1998 I think .wonder if anyone can trace any living relative from this family ot have any info on my grandads side of family eg name of his father n mother etc. Be much appreciated thanks
Kind regards
Karen

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Sep 2017 15:56

Helpers please see this thread for details of Edna Mary Newill http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1368327?jump=1368327

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Sep 2017 17:01

Well his birth reg will give his mmn

Try freebmd for both births

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Sep 2017 17:09

This looks like his birth

Births Dec 1913
Holden Thomas W Wood Blackburn 8e 579

Qtr would equate to a sept birth

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Sep 2017 17:12

I think this is likely to be his birth reference:-

HOLDEN, THOMAS WILLIAM WOOD Order
GRO Reference: 1913 D Quarter in BLACKBURN Volume 08E Page 579

EDIT - Snap Shirley, I didn't refresh the page before adding.

If you buy Thomas's marriage certificate it should give you his father's name which will mean you can look for his parent's marriage.

This is the GRO reference for his marriage certificate:-

First name(s) THOMAS W
Last name HOLDEN
Marriage quarter 2
Marriage year 1938
Registration month -
MarriageFinderâ„¢ THOMAS W HOLDEN married
Edna M Newill
Spouse's last name Newill
District Leeds North
District number -
County Yorkshire
Country England
Volume 9B
Page 639

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Sep 2017 17:20

A lot of information is being duplicated Karen because you have more than one thread going about the same family members. It is always best to keep to one thread.

You will need to buy a couple of certificates at least so you can be sure you go back on the correct line and have accurate information.

Kath. x

Maddie

Maddie Report 25 Sep 2017 17:31

possilbe birth in1941 in leeds
will pm details

Karen

Karen Report 25 Sep 2017 18:24

Okay thanks.just thought.if more people out there knew as im stumped on my mums dad side .which site is best to buy certificates from please as im new to this thing
I appreciate all your help in tracing my relatives and anything I can do for you let us know.
Kind regards
Karen

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Sep 2017 19:00

Karen the same people read all boards :-)

You can buy certs online for £9.25 at

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

If you buy the marriage cert of Thomas Holden to Edna Newill using the info that Kathleen has posted it should give you his father's name and occupation so we can check to see whether the one mentioned is correct and whether he had siblings.

add, I've added to your other thread also re Evelyn

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Sep 2017 19:23

Now this is why I couldn't spot her in 1939, mistranscribed , her birth is obviously 1912, but because of a mark on page ( selotape) then it looks odd, as does Thomas's but I am assuming his is 1913...could someone else with FMP for the 1939 register please see what you think?

Holdin Household (2 People)
73 Parkfield Avenue , Leeds C.B., Yorkshire (West Riding), England

Edna M Burgon (Holdin) 17 Aug 1872 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 75 2
Thomas W Holdin 18 Sep 1873 Male Engineering Fitter Married 75 1

Holden on image

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Sep 2017 19:46

I think you are correct Nyx. Looks like 1912 and 1913 birth years to me. Thomas was also a Special Constable.

This is Edna's marriage in 1950 which has been updated on the 1939 register:-

First name(s) EDNA M
Last name HOLDEN
Marriage quarter 2
Marriage year 1950
Registration month -
MarriageFinderâ„¢ EDNA M HOLDEN married
James W Burgon
Spouse's last name Burgon
District Leeds
District number -
County Yorkshire
Country England
Volume 2C
Page 572
Record set England & Wales Marriages 1837-2005

Kath. x

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Sep 2017 19:49

Thanks Kath :-)

so that helps with Thomas' birth when looking for the registration.