Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

McLaughlan/McLachlan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ruth

Ruth Report 9 Oct 2017 12:45

I am looking for any living descendents of Allan and Ethel McLachlan nee Holt Last known address for them Port Glasgow Road, Greenock. Allan was born around 1883 his parents were Patrick and Julia McLaughlan nee McDonald from Port Glasgow. SIblings were William Edward, Alexander Margaret and Mary. All born between 1881 and 1896. :-)

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Oct 2017 20:22

Have you tried searching trees on here to see if anyone is researching the same family?

Have you used Scotlandspeople to try to work forward from the names you have please?

patchem

patchem Report 10 Oct 2017 20:36

In 1901 he appears to have been born in 1886, have you considered getting his birth certificate to help in finding out more about him, including a possible will?
1901 census
Patrick McLaughlan 40
Julia McLaughlan 39
Edward McLaughlan 19
Maggie McLaughlan 17
xxxxAllan McLaughlan 15 Ren F S, Port- Glasgow
Mary McLaughlan 10
William McLaughlan 4
Alexander McLaughlan 4
James Hopkins 21

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Oct 2017 20:36

For ref.

Back
1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
14, Argyle Street, Port-Glasgow, Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Learn more

Print transcription Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Patrick McLaughlan Head Married Male 40 1861 Rivetter Ship Y Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Julia McLaughlan Wife Married Female 39 1862 - Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Edward McLaughlan Son Single Male 19 1882 Caulker Ship Y Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Maggie McLaughlan Daughter Single Female 17 1884 Canvas Weaver Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Allan McLaughlan Son - Male 15 1886 Ship Rivet Boy Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Mary McLaughlan Daughter - Female 10 1891 Scholar Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Scotland
William McLaughlan Son - Male 7 1894 Scholar Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Alexander McLaughlan Son - Male 4 1897 - Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Scotland
James Hopkins Boarder Single Male 21 1880 Ship Caulker Ireland

Have you found the family on the 1911 census please?

Who registered the parents deaths?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Oct 2017 20:40

Age at death Mother's Maiden Name Year Ref RD Name Image View
MCLACHLAN
ALLAN
564/ 237
Greenock

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Oct 2017 20:44

Surname Forename Age at death Mother's Maiden Name Year Ref RD Name Image View
MCLACHLAN
ETHEL MATILDA
564/ 1009
Greenock

patchem

patchem Report 10 Oct 2017 20:45

1891? Is he missing or wrong transcription - ages of parents different also compared to 1901?
Patrick McLaughlan 33
Julia McLaughlan 33
Edward McLaughlan 9
Maggie McLaughlan 7
xxxxxWilliam McLaughlan 5
Mary McLaughlan 10 Mo

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Oct 2017 20:50

Using the free search facility on Scotlandspeople, these deaths all show the mother's maiden surname as Holt. The informants may be family members and show a current address. So you need to either buy the death certificates or visit the Scotlandspeople Centre to view them.

Surname Forename Age at death Mother's Maiden Name Year Ref RD Name Image View

MCLACHLAN. ( other surname Borthwick)
MARGARET
HOLT
640/ 941
Inverclyde

MCLACHLAN
ELIZABETH ( other surname Boyd)
HOLT
640/ 892
Inverclyde

MCLACHLAN
EDWARD ROBERT D
HOLT
640/ 71
Inverclyde

MCLACHLAN (other surname Thomson)
MARY
HOLT
280/ 422
Elgin

patchem

patchem Report 10 Oct 2017 21:36

Ethel Holt marries without a middle name, so that death might not be her?

Was Ethel born in Scotland?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 11 Oct 2017 08:53

Not unusual for a middle not to be used in the marriage record. That lady's other surname is Holt and although the couple were married in Glasgow, they were last known to be in Inverclyde area.

Ruth

Ruth Report 11 Oct 2017 15:29

Many thanks for all your help. i have a marriage and both death certificates for Allan and Ethel McLachlan. I know they had one son Edward he registered his fathers death in 1957 and was living in the family home. The information I have are from SP.
I am searching for any McLachlan/McLaughlan descendents. Thank you again for your searches. :-) :-)

patchem

patchem Report 11 Oct 2017 21:24

Have you checked for a will for either of them, and also for the people that rootgatherer has found, above, as there could be many descendents mentioned on them?

Ruth

Ruth Report 12 Oct 2017 17:18

I have searched Scotlands people for a will. I have not checked Rootgatherer. I will give that a try. Thank you.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 14 Oct 2017 00:44

I don't think their son Edward Robert married so there may not be any "McLachlan" descendants. I think you need to look for Borthwick, Boyd and Thomson grandchildren.

I also think that even if Allan and Ethel did leave wills, their deaths are too recent for the wills to be found on Scotlandspeople.

Your best bet is to order copies of the death certificates of Allan and Ethel's daughters to see who registered the deaths and get some addresses from them. As those deaths are all relatively recent, the informants may still be at the same address.

patchem

patchem Report 14 Oct 2017 07:42

This link is to a discussion about getting recent wills in Scotland:

http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17577

And from Scotlandspeople:

'Wills registered after 1925
Wills registered between 1925 and 1997 have not been digitised and may only be consulted in the Historical Search Room at the National Records of Scotland. The printed Calendar of Confirmations is the yearly index to these wills. See the National Records of Scotland's guide on wills and testaments for further information.

Wills dating from 1997 have not yet been transferred to the National Records of Scotland. For further information you should contact the Commissary Department, Edinburgh Sheriff Court, 27 Chambers Street, Edinburgh EH1 1LB.'

Ruth

Ruth Report 16 Oct 2017 20:10

Many thanks for all your help. I certainly didnt think I could find any further details to help me in my search. :-D :-D