Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding children of living relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 24 Jan 2018 11:33

If I want to find children of people that are alive how can I do that?

I know marriage dates but don’t know if certain people had children .

I hope you understand what I mean.

It would be details from the 1970s

Thankyou

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Jan 2018 11:53

If you know the date of marriage ( and preferably likely location of births) , you can look at freebmd.org.uk ( though that only goes up to certain years in the 70s) or on FMP, searching for the two surnames eg Smith for fathers name and Jones for mother.

It will depend on how common the combination of names is though.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 24 Jan 2018 11:55

Thankyou.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 25 Jan 2018 22:58

The best way is always to ask them!

If you are related to the couples whose children these are (if children there are), are you or someone in your family not in touch with them?

Remember, no one who is living should be put in an onlne tree (or anywhere they are likely to end up in an online tree*) without their consent.

(* I gave personal info to the first distant cousin I discovered at this site ages ago -- we shared the same great-great-grandparents and I was new to meeting unknown family and a bit excited about it, so I told her all about mine. She put us in her tree here, unbeknownst to me since I certainly did not, and my living parents and I ended up in the online trees of complete strangers (her relations on her other parent's side) with whom she had shared her tree. I was a bit livid about that, and have spent considerable time tracking down tree owners here, at Ancestry ..., to get the info removed.)