Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching For Adopted Sibling

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 20 Feb 2018 05:19

I am searching for my half sister.
Name at birth Heather Ovens
DOB April 15th 1961
Place of birth Birkenhead Maternity Hospital
Mother Sheila Ovens

Any help would be appreciated

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Feb 2018 06:53

Have you added your name to the national adoption contact register

If she also does the same at some time then your contact details will be passed on to her

Also you could add a note on the FreeBMD site against her birth GRO record so if she looks for her original birth record then she will see your note

Have you checked members trees on her to see if anyone has her listed
You can then try to make contact by sending a message through the find out more box

Other than that without knowing her new name then no one can help the search I,m afraid

Good luck :-)

Deborah

Deborah Report 21 Feb 2018 11:10

Thank you for your response.

I registered with .the UK Birth Adoption Registry and I also made a note on her birth record on FreeBMD sometime ago. I have checked trees to no avail, and as you pointed out I may have trouble as I do not know her adopted name, sadly.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 14 Apr 2018 21:11

Ring your local Children's Social Services. Get an appointment. Don't say anything on the phone except - "Its about an adoption and its complicated". Don't get drawn into a conversation with a person who just wants you off the phone. Say you need to talk to somebody, get the appointment. They will be able to get hold of her file. Ask for a mediator, be advised they charge.

Deborah

Deborah Report 15 Apr 2018 05:14

I live in the States now, so wouldn't be able to do that. Thanks anyway.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 17 Apr 2018 22:13

Deborah - Social Services for the area will have a website and an address where you could email them.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 19 Apr 2018 17:34

Deborah, just a bit of a silly question, but is your email address spelled correctly in your 2017 postem at FreeBMD? :-)

Also, unfortunately, if you google that email address, you will find it on a spammers list of email addresses. Best to spell it out when you post it on line:
name at hotmail dot com

Deborah

Deborah Report 20 Apr 2018 00:49

Hi Joonie, yes it is spelled correctly.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Apr 2018 17:29

Good, just thought I'd ask! :-)

(I was mostly wanting to make sure you had included an email address -- so many people don't, maybe thinking that messages can be sent through FreeBMD. It's terribly frustrating, sometimes almost tragic, to find an important bit of info and have no way of contacting the person who added it!)

Deborah

Deborah Report 20 Apr 2018 19:04

Thank you.