Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need to trace someone who moved to Canada

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ron

Ron Report 1 Mar 2018 15:15

Moved to canada in late 70's.after divorce and husbands recent death, may have moved back to UK due to accident/illness ( late 2016)

Nobody in Canada seems to give a monkeys, in fact nobody in Canada even replies to enquiries!! esp authorities
any suggestions as to how i might proceed

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Mar 2018 15:31

If you think she may be back in UK does she have relatives here who would know? or might she be on eroll ( try 192.com). Privacy is tighter in Canada for BMDs etc, but you could look for her on white pages ? https://www.whitepages.com/maps/canada

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Mar 2018 01:54

Ron, you have had a lot of replies to this question in a previous thread, no?

https://secure.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1367537

Sorry. Not fair (and against the rules) to ask people who didn't see (or don't remember) that thread to start all over again.

(And yes, Canadians are nice people. But genealogy societies do not exist to trace living people who have probably left the country anyway, and as you already knew, there are no accessible records in Canada that would tell you what you want to know, and "authorities" simply do not give out personal information about individuals, even if they have it, and I can't think of what information they would have in this instance.)

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Mar 2018 14:41

Drawn a blank for marriage, except to eliminate the ones it isn't.

No sign of her death ( from obits) since moving back to UK though there are a couple of recent entries on probate records, but probably not her, as her age now would be about 60/70 according to Ron.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Mar 2018 15:51

A snippet from the other thread

" She has also moved back to the UK to stay with her brother"

What is her brother's name?

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Mar 2018 16:37

It's not known Erika.

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Mar 2018 16:41

The only thing I can offer is that the maiden name Ward was mentioned, if she was around the age Ron mentioned and born Berks?? then there is one Mary Ward born who has brothers, but have not looked further than that.

edit not her, she is with husband on erolls

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Mar 2018 18:56

Having checked freebmd and FMP, there is no record of a marriage between Robert Whitehead and Mary Ward.

Of course, she could have been married before, which would alter the search criteria.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 Mar 2018 17:13

As a Canadian, I take issue with your comments that Canadians "don't give a monkey's or even reply to inquiries"
I, among others, often try to help when I see an inquiry relating to Canada. However in this case the inquiry involves such recent events that there are simply no online records to help with your search.
Very unfair of you to blame Canadians for your lack of answers!

Ru

Ru Report 5 Mar 2018 18:28

I have found the Canadian BMD very helpful indeed. My uncle lived and died in BC and once I had furnished them with details of my family relationship, they gave me all the details I required and I ordered and received the death certificate and all relevant information.

I second that MargaretM - they are helpful, but are very guarded - it has to be a genuine connection and all reasons reasonable (oh I have put that badly). Caution is not a bad thing and needs to be understood.
Ru

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Mar 2018 19:58

It would be just as difficult to find such recent info here with such sparse details and no unless there was an online obit or similar. It would involve at very least manually working through recent death records on microfiche at one of the main libraries and even then you'd have to order the cert to find NOK or address.

From another angle Ron, what sort of loco was Robert involved in building? if there were facebook groups that he joined on the topic an old post might show up...very long shot! Did Mary communicate with you online? if so do you have any of her communications, which might have a hint of some sort, an event she attended for instance?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Mar 2018 22:05

I was confused by the reference to someone in Detroit providing info. Did Robert live/die in Detroit Michigan or in Windsor Ontario ...

familysearch shows dozens of Robert Whitehead deaths (US social security deaths index) in Michigan 2000-2010 for example.

Ontario official deaths info this recent simply is not available to the public, period. An immediate family member with sufficient information and proof of relationship can apply for a death certificate, but that is all.

There is one obituary on line for a Robert Whitehead who died in Windsor, but it is a different man (wife and children do not match).