Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ann & Margaret Tully

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tombul

Tombul Report 1 Apr 2018 04:52

Looking for decendents.of my mum's Aunts, sisters to her father William Tully from Edinburgh.

Ann, born 1907, was one of the oldest Tully Children, born to Henry Tully And Sarah Ann Heads.

In 1931 she married Thomas Bain and they had 3 children; Iris (1934) , Ann (1937) & Thomas (1943). My mum has fond memories of these cousins. Iris married John Narrie and had 3 children; John, Diane & Maureen.
Ann married Frederick Anderson and had 3 children; Stewart, Moira and Fiona
Thomas married Gladys Ward and they had 2 children; Gladys and Thomas.

The youngest sister and youngest Tully was Margaret born 1920. In 1940 she married Charles Burns and they had 4 children, Charles, Derek, Susan and William. Maggie also had a later son once widowed, whom she called Gerald. Again mum remember the whole family fondly.
Charles (1941) married Elizabeth Hunnam and they had ? children;
Derek (1945) married Mary Curran, they had 5 children
Susan (1946) married ?
William (1947( married Irene Muir, they had two children
Gerald (1959) married Maureen Lornie.

Of the 7 Tully children, these are the last two that I have not got any news for my mum about. My mum Sarah (Sally) is 81 this year and I've managed to exchange photos and information with all the other branches in Canada, England, Italy. My mum lost many old photo years ago and she would love to get photos if possible of her Auntie Ann and her Auntie Maggie.

Can anyone point them in my direction please <3 <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Apr 2018 07:59

If they all lived in Scotland then you need Scotlands People website for bmds

It isn't a subs site . You can do free search but have to purchase units to access the record . For those later records you can buy the cert through them
They used to be £10 each but don't know if that is still the current price

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Apr 2018 10:31

Have you looked on Scotlandspeople to see if any of the children have middle names/initials? You should be able to do that using only the free search.

Assuming the Aunts have died, have you purchased their DC? The informant could be a relative with a more recent address.

Have you looked on 192.com for electoral roll entries?
How about searching online trees on this site?

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Apr 2018 15:44

Presume this the birth of Annie with mmn as her second name

Surname Forename Gender Year Ref RD Name
TULLY
ANNIE HEADS
F
685/4 397
St Giles

----------------------------------
and this her death - also registered under Bain

Surname Forename Age at death Mother's Maiden Name Year Ref RD Name
TULLY
ANNIE HEADS
685/6 891
Newington

As the death is over 50 years ago, you can view and download the certificate through SP website - 6 credits (£7.50 for 30 still I think)

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Apr 2018 15:48

Margaret's birth

Surname Forename Gender Year Ref RD Name Image View
TULLY
MARGARET
F
685/4 488
St Giles

--------------------------
and her death - also registered as Burns

Surname Forename Age at death Mother's Maiden Name Year Ref RD Name Image View
TULLY
MARGARET
HEADS
730/ 400
Haymarket

Under 50 years ago, you would have to order the certificate through SP - £12 I believe

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 4 Apr 2018 07:17

Googling sadly brings up the obituaries for the Bain siblings. The obituaries all give a little more information about their families.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/by/narrie/iris

Narrie Iris (nee Bain) (Gilmerton) Peacefully, on September 20, 2017, at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Iris, aged 86 years, beloved wife to the late John......
--------------------------------------------

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/ann-anderson-obituary?pid=184689999&view=guestbook

ANDERSON Ann (nee Bain) (Gilmerton / Thistle Foundation) Peacefully, at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, on February 13, 2014, Ann, beloved wife of the late Fred....
-----------------------------------------------

BAIN Thomas (Moredun) Suddenly, at home, on Monday, May 2, 2016, Tam, beloved husband of Gladys for 51 years....

(Published in The Scotsman on May 9, 2016)

(Thomas and Gladys also had another daughter (Anne-Marie)- reading the obituary you will see the first name of her husband. Her marriage is on Scotland's People. Anne-marie is on Facebook, as is her sister Gladys- If you need help to find it let me know)