Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LOOKING FOR LOST SIBLINGS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert William

Robert William Report 3 Apr 2018 19:49

Hi, we're trying to find my Mums siblings whom she has never met, but had recently found out that she may have had 2 other sisters and 1-2 brothers? from a previous marriage to her father, possibly in their late 60's early 70's. her Fathers name was Robert Mckenzie, born 1929 glasgow. :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Apr 2018 07:48

Well if they were all born in Scotland then you need Scotlands People which isn't a subs site I,m afraid

You can search free but then have to buy units to look at the details,

For the ages you say you can't look at the actual birth record but have to buy the certs through the site . They used to be £10 but don't know if that's stil the price

Think the first thing would be to get his marrige cert to your mum to see its info ,
And possibly get his birth cert too .

Do you know if he had siblings . They could still be alive and have some info too

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Apr 2018 13:52

Does your mother have any idea of the name of her father's first wife?

Robert Mckenzie is a very common name............

Robert William

Robert William Report 4 Apr 2018 14:30

Unfortunately no, its a little complicated, my mums father was still married to his first wife when he was illegally married to his second wife, my mums mother. (who only found out when pregnant with her second child and attempted suicide as a result).

only from other family members that we've heard there were other half-siblings out from this first marriage, for curiosity sake and possibly my mum learning something new and possible unanswered questions are we doing this. Its a long shot and I'm very doubtful we'll find anything, we have found marriage certificates but only for my mums mum and father. and have found 7 results for a robert mckenzie specifically born in that year and location, but no answer yet from any of the tree owners.

we'll just have to sit tight and hopefully someone will get back to us. i'm just wondering if there are any other searches we could try. unfortunately on my mums side, the information we have is little bits and pieces :-(

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Apr 2018 16:56

When and where did he 'marry' your grandmother?

Robert William

Robert William Report 4 Apr 2018 18:32

1954, wales, monmouthshire. caerleon,

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Apr 2018 00:47

Hi Robert, your mum has one brother from her parents' marriage. Is he still living?

My suggestion is a DNA test, and YDNA, male-line DNA, is the most reliable one for finding fellow male descendants of the same man ... if any of those descendants have tested of course, and that is a very long shot.

If that son (or a son of his) is not available, an autosomal DNA test can also identify relations, and your mum can do that herself. That would also cover the possibility that a woman who comes from the first marriage has tested.

So doing both tests is the best idea if you decide to undertake it.

(Ancestry only does autosomal DNA testing. I use the Family Tree DNA company, which does a full range of tests.)

Very very long shots. But if the other children, or their children, happen to have heard of the second marriage, you never know, they might have tried it.

The tests can also identify more distant relations who have tested, and some other member of Robert's family might know more about him.

Do you have your mum's parents' marriage certificate?

He may well have lied, given the circumstances, but it would be worth knowing, at least, what he stated about his father.

(If his bigamy came to official attention, you would not be able to get a marriage certificate, but cross that bridge when you come to it.)

Is it certain that his first marriage was in Scotland? Does your mum know how her parents met? (to give an idea of how long he had been in the area, for example)

Do you know when and where he died? His death record in England/Wales would give a birthdate in the index, if it was known to the person who reported it. That might identify his birth.

Just to situate us, if he was born in 1929 and married your mum in 1954, the first marriage must have been between about 1947 (age 18) and 1954, but of course probably somewhat before 1954. And he could have had children in that marriage up to 1955, potentially.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Apr 2018 15:46

Marriages Dec 1954 (>99%)

McKenzie Robert Knox Caerleon 8c 305
Knox Betty M McKenzie Caerleon 8c 305

Father's name will be on the cert - if known

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Apr 2018 19:02

Of the Roberty McKenzies born in 1929 these are the Glasgow ones -

Surname Forename Gender Year Ref RD Name Image View
MCKENZIE
ROBERT
M
644/20 1145
Plantation

MCKENZIE
ROBERT MURDOCH
M
644/13 146
Kelvin

MCKENZIE
ROBERT MUNRO S
M
495/ 76
Cumbernauld

Cumbernauld just outside of Glasgow so probably least likely.

You have to register with the Scotland's People website, but searches are free
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

As the birth is under 100 years ago you will have to send for the certificate through the site (£12 I believe).

Births over 100 years ago, marriages 75 and deaths 50 years - certificate available through the site to see and download - cost for each 6 credits (buy 30 credits minimum for £7.50 - much cheaper than English ones.

Start with the Plantation RD one if you go for it as no other initials as per marriage record Wales 1954 (but may not have given all names)