Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for birth father

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Charlotte

Charlotte Report 18 Jul 2018 16:59

Hello,

I am trying to help my mum find out who her birth father was but we have no information about him to go off. My mum was put up for adoption in 1954 in Nottingham, she tracked down her birth mother in 2012 (Rita Ashton née Hebden, 1934-2017, Retford) but she rejected her and refused to tell her anything about her birth father. Everyone who would have known about the situation is dead and the few living relatives who might know claim to know nothing.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas on what we can do to find out some information please? We would be really grateful for any help.

Many thanks,

Charlotte Craigie

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jul 2018 17:30

Does her adoption file give any info on the birth father

If not and mum won't say then maybe she won't be able to find the info
Did mum have siblings . Sometimes they have family info

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jul 2018 17:32

Has mum done a DNA test

I have done one and am getting hits for descendents of family from the 1800,s so it does work

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 18 Jul 2018 19:13

More and more people are doing them so the database is getting bigger.

Rose

Charlotte

Charlotte Report 18 Jul 2018 19:37

Wow that’s amazing. Thanks I’ll definitely look into it, is Ancestrydna the best company to use?
Rita is dead now and so are her sisters and brother. The relatives who are still alive say they didn’t know about my mum but I’m not sure how true that is. They lived in a small community so we are hoping that there might still be someone who knew her at that time. I’ve contacted some local newspapers and forums and I’ll order a DNA test.