Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reregistration of adopted children

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill

Jill Report 24 Jul 2018 21:01

Hi, I am looking for a set of twins born around 1959, I have been given 3 options of twins with the mothers name and dates and also the reregistration dates. I would like to know how to find this sort of thing out. Thank you .

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jul 2018 22:00

Do you mean you have birth names ?

If so you can look on FreeBMD for births which will show mmn

What you won't find is any list of adopted children as that info is private

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Jul 2018 22:02

Which angle are you coming from?

Birth family trying to identify the birth of twins given up for adoption?
Adoptive family trying to find original names?

If the first option, you’ll probably need to purchase one of each pair of original BC to check the parent(s) name(s). Should you be searching on behalf of the birth father, you’d either need to ask him if he can remember the mothers name, or hope that he is named on the certificate. It’s possible that other birth family members may have some information.

An adopted person has the right to access their files & obtain a copy of their original BC. In the first instance they should contact social services unless they are aware of a specific charitable agency who arranged the adoption.

This link may help you. (England & Wales)
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records

Jill

Jill Report 24 Jul 2018 23:29

There was a set of twins put up for adoption in 1959 which we just found out abou recently.I mentioned this on one site and with dates , mothers maiden name and place I was told there was only one set that was girl/boy that had been reregistered the other 2 sets reregistered were both boys. We were originally told girl/boy but not sure now. They were all 3 sets named with the same maiden name. My hubby was adopted too and these would be his cousins. Every time I move forward something moves me back. One set have been reregistered twice after the original. All very confusing, not sure how anyone could have got back to me so quick to say they were reregistered.How would they get to know so quick. Xx

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Jul 2018 23:51

If they were re-registered there would be an alteration of the page number on the original birth entry on the birth index. This usually takes the form of something like......see M 95 (which would mean see the March quarter of 1995). Or it might just have a small "s" after the page number.

If you look at the original birth reference and there is something like this then you know there has been a re-registration or adoption.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Jul 2018 00:11

If he thinks they may be his cousins then you’ve already worked out who the birth relative (aunt/uncle) might be.

Purchase one of the twins BC for the parental name given.
Although you probably already know, certificates can be purchased from the local reg office, or from https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ at a cost of £9.25. The local reg office may change more.

Besides out of family adoption, reregistration could be because an additional name has been added, the natural father wants the certificate to show his name, the birth father has since married the mother thus legitimising the birth, or the child has been adopted by the birth mothers later partner.

Which ever set of registration references you use, you’ll be sent the same certificate. What you won’t be sent is the short certificate issued when a child is adopted out of the family & given entirely new forenames & surname.

Jill

Jill Report 25 Jul 2018 00:49

Thank you all for your help . Will check the original registration again xx