Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

gilbert walker(c1956)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Francie

Francie Report 2 Aug 2018 13:03

I am trying to contact a Gilbert Walker who has a tree on this site, i have been a member since 2005.
I believe that Gilbert is a 1st cousin, son of my uncle Gilbert Walker(1912) and Vera May Baker(1914).
Gilbert has both of the above on his site as I have as well.
I have tried to contact him by message but he doesn't reply.
What I'm hoping is that you might be able to tell me the last time that Gilbert signed in and if he read my message to him.
This would let me know if he knows about me and isn't interested in making contact or he might not know and I should try some other way to find him.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Aug 2018 14:05

Welcome to the boards Francie.

It isn't possible to find out when someone last used the site, but if you look in "messages" at the top of the screen and then click on "sent messages" you can tell if the message has been read. If there is still a green envelope next to the message you sent then this means that the message has NOT been read.

Very few people seem to use the site these days so Gilbert may not bother to check the site any more.

Kath. x

malyon

malyon Report 2 Aug 2018 15:42

not seeing a marriage for a walker and baker and not found a the birth for gilbert walker 1956

malyon

malyon Report 2 Aug 2018 16:09

the only birth i can find in 1956 is in the british armed forces in germany gilbert j walker

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Aug 2018 16:12

Potts Household (9 People)
1 Star Lane , Ramsey U.D., Huntingdonshire, England

Vera M Walker (Baker) 13 Jun 1914 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Single 342 7
Harry Potts 07 Jul 1882 Male Farmer Married 342 1
Harry Potts 26 Nov 1917 Male Farm Worker Assisting Father Single 342 2
Ellen L Potts 10 Mar 1880 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 342 3
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.
Robert Baker 17 Dec 1876 Male Municipal Officer Retired Treasure Department Married 342 5
Ellen Maud Baker 19 Feb 1876 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 342 6

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Aug 2018 16:13

Vera didn't marry in England/Wales

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Aug 2018 16:17

Name: Vera M Walker
Arrival Age: 41
Birth Date: 13 Jun 1914
Port of Departure: Brisbane, Australia
Arrival date: 1 Oct 1955
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
Ports of Voyage: Port Sudan; Mombasa; Tanga; Dar-es-Salaam; Beira; Lourenco Marques; Durban; East London; Port Elizabeth; Cape Town and Las Palmas
Ship Name: Stratheden
Shipping line: The Transatlantic Co Ltd Cothenburg
Official Number: 8332

Also travelling Gilbert Walker,born FEB 1955

Going to an address in Ramsey, Hunts

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Aug 2018 16:21

Gilbert Walker, born 1955, Australia is in two trees on here. One owned by Gilbert, the other by Alan

Also Gilbert Walker born 1956 in Rinteln

Francie

Francie Report 2 Aug 2018 17:15

Thanks very much ErikaH. Actually they never married but she called herself Mrs Walker. I had the details of the arrival from Australia and I know that they went to Australia. So you are saying that the Gilbert(1955) who was on that sailing was born in germany ? or there is a tree which says that ?

regards

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Aug 2018 20:53

No, Francie, that is not quite what I’m saying

If you look under search all member trees, you will see what I did - two trees with Gilbert born 1955 in Australia and one with a different Gilbert, born one year later, 1956, in Rinteln

I don’t know how accurate the info is - I only pass it on as it appears.

Hope you get a response

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Aug 2018 21:00

Vera's death

First name(s) VERA MAY
Last name WALKER
Gender Female
Birth day 13
Birth month 6
Birth year 1914
Death quarter 3
Death year 1978
District Great Yarmouth
County Norfolk
Volume 10
Page 1132
Country England

Francie

Francie Report 2 Aug 2018 23:19

What I see is the Gilbert who has the tree with my uncle Gilbert(1912) on it also has Vera May Baker(1914) in it. Gilbert(1912) and Vera May(1914) were partners and could have had a son Gilbert Walker(1955) who would be my 1st cousin.

This is through clicking the "matches" number on my tree then looking at the matches and Gilbert and Vera May are in both match lists.

I'm pretty sure this is the Gilbert(1955) I'm looking for I just don't know how to find him.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Aug 2018 00:09

The one listed on the British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms has a middle initial of J.

Assuming he also came back to the UK, there are a number of entries on ER listed on https://www.192.com/all/search/ Its a pay to view site
One in the correct age group married in 2003.

Do bear in mind that there was another person with the same name & initial born a year later, also in Germany.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Aug 2018 10:56

Gilbert Walker , GR member, has in his tree Gilbert Walker born 1955 in Brisbane Australia- plus the parents as identified by Francie.

The same Gilbert 1955 is in a tree owned by someone called Alan - try sending him a message, Francie

Alternatively, get a copy of Vera’s death cert for details of the informant.

Francie

Francie Report 3 Aug 2018 15:32

I've already sent a message to Alan, no reply.
I've contacted the "old folks" where she died for information about her and family.
Don't know if i'll get it though, data protection and all that rubbish ?

Francie

Francie Report 4 Aug 2018 10:16

Can I get a copy of her death cert from GR ?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Aug 2018 10:53

No, order it via https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

You’ll have to register then complete the online forms with the details given earlier. Don’t give anything extra. It’ll cost you £9.25 which includes world wide P&P. All major credit & debit cards accepted.

For deaths within the last 50 years, you do have to give the age at death. You’re just inside that but It’s easy enough to work out from the entry.