Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

adopted children

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kim

kim Report 9 Sep 2018 16:30

elaine Taylor was Cogger maindon name had has baby Bernita Cogger at birth on the11 December 1974 she would like to find her but has no idea where to start need help thank you

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Sep 2018 17:28

Unfortunately she can't access the adoption records. They are only available to the adoptee

She can add her name to the adoption contact register on the GRO site with contact details so if Bernita also looks for info the contact details would be passed on to her

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Sep 2018 17:40

Name was spelt a little differently

Benita Cogger
Registration Date: 1974
Registration district: Southend on Sea
Inferred County: Essex
Re-registration Year: 1974
Mother's Maiden Name: Cogger
Volume Number: 9
Page Number: 1952s

The small s against the page nos indicates adopted and only a small cert would be issued which wouldnt show mums name or any of her details

The birth is also on freebmd and a postem can be added to the record with something like birth mother seeking contact and giving and email address
Don't put personal info like tel nos or an adddres as it's an open site and she would risk crank calls or scam letters

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Sep 2018 17:52

Elaine could also write a letter to ‘Benita’, asking Social Services or the Adoption Agency to put it on her file.

If & when Benita chooses to access her file, she’d have a better chance of tracing her birth mother if she so wishes.

This is link to the Adoption Contact Register which Shirley mentioned.
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

There is further link on the web page regarding Intermediary Services. They are authorised to access an adopted child’s file, learn the name & attempt to trace her. The adopted child has to give permission before information is shared with birth family.

In the meantime, edit your tree entry to include a year & general area of birth. You might want to correct the spelling of the name, or possibly add a new entry with that as a sister to Bernita.
As Elaine also has a tree on here, suggest she logs on to add Benita. She doesn’t need to resubscibe to that.

Are you aware of Karen Thorne who also lists Elaine on her tree? If not, send her a message asking why she has an interest.

kim

kim Report 18 Jul 2021 12:55

karen thorne can you contact me at genes united as elaine wants to know about bernita cogger born 1974.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jul 2021 13:11

Who is Karen Thorne

Is she a genes member .if not there’s no way she will see this message

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Jul 2021 14:22

Karen was mentioned by DetEcTive in 2018 as a possible contact. Kim needs to look at search members trees for Elaine Cogger and contact Karen that way.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Jul 2021 14:34

Kim -

In case you don't know -

"Search all member trees" is under "Search" at top right of this page.

Enter the name Elaine Cogger - no other search terms required.
You'll see a search result with the tree owner's name Karen.

Click on "Find out more" and send her a message, explaining your interest.
GR will send her an email with a link to your message.

If she replies, you will also receive an email from GR - keep an eye on your junk mail box in case it goes into that.

We don't know who she is, but she must have some link with Elaine to have her on her tree - and in fact should have asked her permission to put her on her tree..

Does Elaine know who Karen is?

Of course, there's no guarantee that Karen knows anything about Benita.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jul 2021 15:10

Kim

Did you or Elaine follow any of the advice you were given in 2018?