Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find my friend's father's family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Georgina

Georgina Report 22 Oct 2018 18:53

I have posted the following on the Military Forum but thought I would try here too.

I am not sure if I am posting this on the correct forum but would be helpful for any advice as to how to go forwared. My friend was adopted and is now in touch with her birth mother's family but has no information about her father and nor do the family. We suspect her father was a GI as she was born in 1946 and her mother was in the land army in Norfolk. Recently a photo surfaced and on the back is a name with the words US Navy. SS Martin van Buren. Care of P.O. New York.

I can only think that perhaps it may be possible to find out who served on SS Martin van Buren and if the name of the person is there it may be possible to look up his naval history. This may not be her father but is the only clue they have. The name is Joseph Olezah (we think) but the last letter may be wrong.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Oct 2018 19:34

The SS Martin van Buren was a Merchant Vessel - not a US Navy vessel
Google for full info

Kay????

Kay???? Report 22 Oct 2018 19:45

The SS Martin van Buren didnt touch English waters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Van_Buren_(PF-42).

the link above tells of its time on the sea.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Oct 2018 20:17

She might be better off doing an Ancestry DNA test.

Rose

Kay????

Kay???? Report 22 Oct 2018 20:41

1 person of that exact surname spelling entered USA in 1901 as Russian and in 1912 shows as migrating to Quebec Canada.

Georgina

Georgina Report 22 Oct 2018 21:25

Thanks for your replies. She has done a DNA test and is waiting for the results. Kay, thanks for that info. but he may be a bit old for ther person I am looking for.

malyon

malyon Report 22 Oct 2018 21:46

the only joseph i can find with that name was born in poland and immagrated to america

Name Joseph Olszah
Event Type Census
Event Date 1920
Event Place Chicago Ward 30, Cook (Chicago), Illinois, United States
Gender Male
Age 22
Marital Status Single
Race White
Race White
Can Read Yes
Can Write Yes
Relationship to Head of Household Boarder
Relationship to Head of Household Boarder
Birth Year (Estimated) 1898
Birthplace Poland
Immigration Year 1914
Father's Birthplace Poland
Mother's Birthplace Poland
Sheet Letter B
Sheet Number 28
Stanley Kolasa Head M 24 Poland
Alexandra Kolasa Wife F 23 Poland
Genovefa Kolasa Daughter F 3 Illinois
Joseph Kolasa Son M 0 Illinois
Joseph Olszah Boarder M 22 Poland

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Oct 2018 22:20

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1374203

Ru

Ru Report 23 Oct 2018 19:17

Have you tried just googling the name: Joseph Olezah = spelling varies, but worth just looking at what is out there.

I am thinking that the connection to the SS. Martin van Buren is more of crew and the PO New York may have been the next Port of Call for where mail may be collected. It was the way people kept in contact by collecting of mail from different ports where the ship would be docking; it may not necessarily indicate that is where the person came from.

Ru