Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Passenger Lists to Melbourne, Australia 1960's

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Ru

Ru Report 22 Nov 2018 10:32

I am seeking to find Passenger Lists for emigration to Australia in 1968/.1969. The couple and baby went to Melbourne and I am trying to trace them.

They are Alan Day; his wife and baby daughter.

Alan was born in London in 1940.

Any help with Lists would be appreciated.
Ru

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Nov 2018 10:45

Too late for online records, which only cover up to 1960

After that date, most people travelled by air, and no records are accessible

Ru

Ru Report 22 Nov 2018 10:49

Thank you ErikaH, just thought of that - now I think about it they probably did fly.

Thanks for looking. I have searched all over for a connection if they returned of remained in Melbourne, but cannot find them.

thanks again.
Ru

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Nov 2018 11:24

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/
Click Record Search which opens in a new tab.
Select the blue Name Search
Complete the name boxes
Limit the range to 1967-1967
Select Immigration & Naturalisation from the drop down menu.

The result, which gives the full dates of birth & Diana's maiden name, all removed for privacy

DAY Alan Edgar born xx xx 1940; Diana Ellen (nee xxx) born xx xx 1941; Julia Dominique born xx xx 1966; travelled per aircraft departing UK on 23 April 1967 under the Assisted Passage Migration Scheme

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Nov 2018 11:34

Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980

Name: Alan Edgar Day
Electoral Year: 1972
Subdistrict: Croydon South
State: New South Wales
District: Evans
Residence Address: 4/19 King street, Ashfield
Listed with Diana Ellen Day, housewife

Australian records have longer closure periods than ours. I can't find Alan or , confidently, Diane on a 1980 ER.
You won't find records for the births of additional children, marriages or deaths.

Ru

Ru Report 22 Nov 2018 16:08

OMG you have found them. (sorry for delay I am down under)

What you have found so far is great. I am very grateful.

I will now try White Pages and see if I can follow on from there. Shame as my daughter has just returned from Melbourne.

What you have found is valuable and thank you so much.

Regards
Ru

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Nov 2018 16:21

Try the NSW Ask a Librarian Service. They might be able to trace them forward from the last known address.

Ru

Ru Report 22 Nov 2018 20:31

Thanks will do that. I am so glad that he seems to have made a go of it in Australia and would like to catch up with them, but age may be another thing.

I thought they may have moved back to UK. In tracing my family Alan's wife has the Berg name which is the connection to me as well as my not knowing this in my teenage years when I knew them. I have struggled to find the family of Diana so far - going by mother's maiden name and the Berg marriage in London.

Will keep looking. How all things come together albeit slowly.

Thanks so much for your input. Now to Ask a Librarian Service NSW. It would be good to see what they have.

Thanks again so much for your input.

Ru (delighted)

Ru

Ru Report 14 Dec 2018 00:28

Just a follow up on this.
+++DetEcTive+++
I did as you suggested and contacted NSW Ask a Librarian Service and my gosh they were just super with the efforts they made.
Unfortunately, they cannot find anything more on the family and suggest I try incoming passenger lists to see if they returned to UK or travelled elsewhere. They also supplied further information on the Berg family so thank you so much - the connection has revealed some of what I was seeking, but not all.

Now to follow up on this.

Thanks again for help with this.
Kind regards and compliments of the season to all you helpers.
Ru

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Dec 2018 01:14

Thanks for the update - it is appreciated.

Its a pity they weren't able to follow the Days forward in Australia. Passenger list research if rather hampered after 1960 as records aren't on line.

There's a good chance that Alan & Diana are still alive - have you considered that they may have moved to New Zealand? They may have prefered more of an 'English' climate.

At least you've made headway with the Berg family - that's something to be grateful for. :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Dec 2018 01:25

UK electoral rolls can be searched on 192.com. They are also included on FMP.

One difficulty that arises is that we've been able to 'opt out' of the commercially available rolls on these & other sites since 2002.
The other difficulty is if they are no longer living together.

There are a number of entries for an Alan E Day in roughly 65+ age group, but not necessarily with a Diana.

If he had died, on line death records aren't available after 2006. On the off chance, you could see if there's a Probate entry for either of them on
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Ru

Ru Report 14 Dec 2018 06:42

Hi thanks again. I did try Wills and Probate, but will have another look.

Also had considered they may have taken the decision to seek NZ as an alternative to the extreme climate of OZ. But as I only just received the information from Ask a Librarian today, have not ventured into town. Anne (ask a L.) was so good and suggested I try my local library and I will do that - not sure this side of Christmas now as things are hectic and I might be a bit daunted as the library is completely new since it opened three weeks ago first time since the quakes. I feel a bit determined now to find the Days - again they may have separated and gone separate ways. Anne did find a Diana E Day in ACT (Canberra) in 1974, but nothing after that. I think it Julia may hold some clues too.

Will keep you informed.

Regards
Ru

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Dec 2018 20:42

??? In Elliot Lake, Ontario.

EDIT:
No, this probably isn't him. The names fit (Alan Edgar, wife Diana, daughter Julia) and YOB - but not the actual DOB, and I don't see the birth of a brother Paul , at least not with the same mms.

Elliot Lake, ON
OBITUARIES

Alan Edgar Day
DAY, Alan Edgar - December 18, 1940 - July 20, 2013. It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Alan E. Day (age 72), Saturday July 20, at St. Joseph's Hospital in Elliot Lake. Beloved husband and best friend of Diana, loving father of Julia (Darren) and James. Alan is survived by his brother Paul and is the uncle of Kaith and Michael. An active hiker and outdoors man in Elliot Lake, Alan was also the winner of this city's Civic Award in 2011. All who knew him will miss him. A memorial service will be held Thursday August 1, 2013 at 2:00 p.m., at Grace Christian Centre. In lieu of flowers, a donation to the Kidney Foundation would be greatly appreciated by his family. Funeral arrangements entrusted to Alternative Funeral Services.

http://yourlifemoments.ca/sitepages/obituary.asp?oId=727402

Ru

Ru Report 14 Dec 2018 21:23

Hi ArgyllGran
Well you might be on the correct trail. Alan was born 18th December 1940 so this would be very coincidential don't you think?

+++DetEcTive+++ - you certainly set me thinking at this busy time, that they may have come across The Ditch to us in NZ and then again Canada came into my thoughts, but with the silly season descending on us, I did no more than give it a passing thought, but AG seems to have found something worth following.

Off out now, but will look in on this later.

Thanks all of you.
Ru

:-) :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Dec 2018 22:10

ArgyllGran’s find certainly seems a strong contender!

Would it be worth asking Grace Christian Centre or Alternative Funeral Services if they can confirm his British/Australian origins? Although they wouldn’t give you last known contact details, they might be willing to try passing on a message.

http://gracechristiancentre.com/
https://411.ca/business/profile/2896761 for Alternative Funeral Services. Can’t spot an email address.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Dec 2018 23:23

I was assuming that the man in Elliot Lake wasn't the right one because Ru said that her Alan was born in London in 1940, but the only possible London birth I can see was in Sept qr 1940 in Camberwell. (Too early for a December birth)

No birth of a Paul with the same mms, as I said.

I hadn't looked at the original details on the link posted by Det, so hadn't cottoned on to the date of 18th Dec , which I assume are the blanked out bits in Det's post.
(Still haven't looked at the original!)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Dec 2018 23:32

Someone named D Day is listed in Elliot Lake on www.canada411.ca

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Dec 2018 00:52

The date of birth, 18 Dec 1940, for Alan Edgar Day does fit with that given on the immigration & naturalisation records. Diana was born in Nov - Ru seems to have pre-emigration details about her- & Julia in July. The full dobs are given on the results.

Perhaps his father married twice?

Ru

Ru Report 15 Dec 2018 01:34

Hi all,

I took a little chance and went through the telephone directory for Day Elliot Lake Ontario. Started looking for an A E Day, but there only four entries. One was D Day (not meant to be a pun)! Checking the time difference with NZ I called and Diana was as chatty as can be. I was careful not to shock and she was so thrilled. They did not go to Melbourne as we all thought at work and understood, but to Sydney and I think their son was born there.
Alan passed away at aged 72 as you helpers found, but Diana still going strong and we are now in contact. May not bring much on the Berg line, but so nice for me to know they settled after a time in Canada.

We really do underestimate this site for helpers come into their own more than most realise.

Thank you all once again. I am so very thrilled to have found the family with all your assistance.

Best Wishes once again for Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Ru

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Dec 2018 09:35

Brilliant news. So pleased for you both. :-D
Don’t you just love a happy ending ? <3