Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Karen Ann Lawrence (Richardson) 1966-2001

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 31 Mar 2019 00:01

Hello,
I am posting on behalf of a relative of Karen, as we have a relative in common. Karen was apparently adopted at a couple of months old and became Richardson. She then married in 1984 to become Lawrence. Sadly she has now passed away, but I really need to find out what her birth name was or where I might get hold of her adoption certificate. I don't know much about her, just that her death was registered in Ealing, her marriage was registered in Surrey Northern district (1984) and I have information about who she married and who her 3 children are. Her apparent date of birth was 27/07/1966. I would really appreciate some help with this, as her relative needs this information quite urgently. Many thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Mar 2019 08:00

You can't access her adoption file

If she knew her birth name then maybe she told her children other than that can't see how the info would be available

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Mar 2019 10:54

The law was changed a few years ago. Limited information can be released if it’s for medical reasons.

Suggest to Karen’s relative that she contacts her local social services post adoption section.

She/you could plough through all the GRO birth index images for 1966 Jul-Sep. Pick out all females who either have a handwritten alteration to the index numbers and/or surname the same as the mother’s maiden name. Some alterations may relate to late registration rather than adoption.
https://images.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/choose.pl

There’s still no guarantee that you’d be able to identify the correct birth. Adoptions tend to occur out of birth or family area to limit the risk of marrying a close relative.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 31 Mar 2019 11:21

Are you able to contact her husband or children?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Mar 2019 11:46

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1376457

Kay????

Kay???? Report 31 Mar 2019 14:14

Her adoption certificate wont be of use as its issued -after-adoption and will bear no indication of a birth surname.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Mar 2019 15:09

i found her dads birth so she can supply a copy of that

details given on thread on genealogy board