Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for Adopted cousin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Natalie

Natalie Report 2 Sep 2019 20:45

Hi, this is a long shot but here goes!

My mum has been searching for her cousin for a long time.

Her birth name was Kim Rose Maria Scholes. She was born in St Giles Hospital, Camberwell on 16th April 1962. She was adopted at a few weeks old. Her name was I imagine changed completely so we have had no luck with tracking her down so far. Mum has done DNA test’s across all available sites hoping that one day she might do one too.

Her mother was Dorothy May Scholes (nee Atkins) in 1962 she was living with her mother Edith Rose Atkins at number 109 Beadnell Road, Lewisham.

I have no idea if Kim is still alive, or if she even knows she was adopted. My greatest fear is that Kim did indeed look for family at some point, but her mother died in 1997 and no father was listed on her birth certificate. As far as I know her mother had no other children. So Kim might have looked and moved on thinking no one was left to contact.

However, her mother was married. We do not know what happened between them but at some point he left her and disappeared. He went to New Zealand for a few years, I tracked him down and found he had remarried back in the UK and had 3 children with his second wife.

I have been in contact with one of those children. He is adamant that Kim is probably his half-sister. Recently his mother died and he has been thinking about Kim a lot and is desperate to find her (as are we)

Kim might have 3 half siblings that she knows nothing about as they were born a long time after her (15+ years)

Please if anyone has any info, or knows anyone with this birthday in the local area who might have been adopted please contact me! Or indeed if anyone knew Edith or Dorothy in Beadnell Road in the 60's.

Any small snippet of information will be helpful.

Many thanks.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Sep 2019 22:59

If you/your mum haven’t already done so, add Kim’s name to the adoption contact register
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

There are further links on that page about hiring an intermediary. They are allowed to access her files & look for her. Should they be successful, they will ask if she will allow her contact details to be passed on. Do check fees before entering a contract.

Have you searched all member trees, top right under Search? Are you already in contact with the other person who has her in his tree?
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/messages/5859583/discover?rk=671237935

You’ve already added a Post’em to her birth entry on Freebmd. That’s one avenue we would have suggested.
The only other suggestion is not to delete your account with GR. Just allow it to lapse if you no longer wish to subscribe. In this age when we frequently swap internet providers, make sure that your GR account is always linked to an email address that you can access. That way, if she or a current relative stumbles across this thread, they can send a message via Genes.

Have you considered that she may have been sent to Australia if she wasn’t adopted quickly?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Sep 2019 07:40

As well as yourself a Malcolm has her in his tree

If you aren’t aware of him then send him a message by clicking on the find out more box

It’s members trees which in under the search heading above the boards