Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Kenny - Leicester/Scotland/Ipswich

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emily

Emily Report 14 Apr 2020 19:13

Hello,

I am currently trying to help my Grandad find out more about his biological father who he never knew. His biological father was never spoken about in the family but the story goes that he was "ran out of town" by my Great Grandmother's brothers! Another rumour has also circulated that he may have been a soldier but we have no evidence of this. We have always wanted to know where the "Kenny" surname comes from as no one else in the family has it!

According to my Grandad's birth certificate, he was born in Loughborough (Leicester) in 1944 to Florence May Stannard (nee Setterfield) and John Kenny. The only other information that is on the certificate is that he was born in Somerville Nursing Home (I cannot seem to find any records of this place).

My Great Grandmother was from Ipswich, Suffolk but we don't know where John Kenny was from. Seeing as my Grandad was born in Loughborough, we are assuming that he was from/lived in Leicester. However, my Grandad also remembers living in Hamilton, Scotland for a little while when he was about four years old so John Kenny could have been from there!

We have tried searching on Ancestry and have also tried to pick the brains of older relatives for any clues but to no avail. As my Grandad has gotten older, he has become more interested in finding out about his biological dad so we are posting on this website to really try our luck.

Any help/leads would be greatly appreciated.

malyon

malyon Report 14 Apr 2020 20:38

Births Jun 1918 (>99%)
Setterfield Florence M Jessup Ipswich 4a 1470

Marriages Jun 1940 (>99%)
Setterfield Florence M Stannard Ipswich 4a 4241

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Apr 2020 21:20

I'm afraid it's not likely we can find anything about him.

John Kenny isn't an uncommon name, although more common in Scotland and the north of England than in Leicestershire or Suffolk .

It's also quite a common Irish name.

If Hamilton is significant - and it may well not be - a John Kenny was born there in 1928, and a Joseph John in 1924. Also another John in 1908.

EDIT:
Forget Joseph John - he died in infancy (1925).
Also forget the 1928 John - he too seems to have died in infancy (1928).

malyon

malyon Report 14 Apr 2020 21:49

there is a birth for a john kenny and marriage which is loughborough area

Births Mar 1909 (>99%)
KENNY John Thomas Ashby Z. 7a 108

Marriages Dec 1939 (>99%)
Kenny John T Cope Ashby Z 7a 394

malyon

malyon Report 14 Apr 2020 21:54

this could be the death of john thomas kenny

Deaths Dec 1977 (>99%)
Kenny John Thomas 15FE1909 Coalville 6 1285

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Apr 2020 14:49

Does the birth certificate give an address or occupation for John Kenny?