Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Williams

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Llamedos Pam

Llamedos Pam Report 4 Mar 2021 08:08

We are searching for our brother John Williams he was born late 1944 to early 1945 , his mother was Violet Williams who was from Cardiff and his father was Edgar William Middleton known as Bill , we know violet was sent away to have her baby as Bill had been sent away for the D Day landings. Your sisters Deborah in Nevada and Pamela in Cardiff are desperate to find you, if you don't want contact then we will understand but please let us know you are safe and well

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Mar 2021 08:45

As a long time member of GR you must know how unlikely it is that John will see this. Have you done any research? If the child was adopted, you should add yourself to the national adoption contact register

One assumes you’ve looked in ‘search all member trees’ as a first step................

Llamedos Pam

Llamedos Pam Report 4 Mar 2021 10:08

ErikaH, yes I’ve been a very long time member, I only had this child confirmed in the last three weeks, my mother had mental health issues but before she died she just looked at me one day and said”I had a son called John” she then changed the subject another day she spoke of Bill Middleton, he was an American GI that’s she had loved as a young girl she told me to write down his mother address 100 Court Rd Reno Nevada , I had grown up all my life knowing the name Bill Middleton and for some reason I kept that address. I asked one of my aunts if she knew if my mother had a baby before me, she had been a very little girl at the time and said she didn’t know. In the last 8 months my mother’s remaining four siblings have died the last one my aunt three weeks ago, while talking to my cousin she told how my mother had been sent away to have her baby and the American Gi. In the following three weeks we have traced Bill Middleton daughter in Reno Nevada who told how her father who had married twice had kept my mother’s photos called her the one that got away and that she should have been born Welsh. We have contacted so many adoption agencies, have put our name on every register that we can , both Deborah in Nevada and myself have put our dna on every genealogy site we can find, i am trawling my way through every John Williams on this site and I put it on here because you never know, I have also sent for 7 birth certificates that may be his.as my grandfather was a staunch catholic and it would be very likely that it was the Catholic Church that arranged it and the lady from catholic adoption said she would have been sent far away and she thought north Wales. So it’s yes to everyone of you questions, but if you can recommend anything else we would be grateful regards Pam

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Mar 2021 10:33

I think you've done everything that you possibly can.

All you can do is hope..............I wish you all possible luck

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Mar 2021 10:43

Pam,
Would North Wales be the obvious choice to go from Cardiff in wartime? It's not got the most direct communication links.
Were there any extended family closer, who Violet might have been sent to?

Do you think the baby is likely to have been baptised near the chosen place, if the Catholic faith was very important to your family.?

It's a difficult name to be researching, but keep hope that some day you might get a breakthrough.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Mar 2021 11:03

During the war many pregnant women were sent away from cities into the country to have their babies in safe surroundings. So I don’t think North Wales particularly odd.

Have you researched the wider family to see if any were in North Wales and have you looked for catholic mother and baby homes in the area?

You know he was thought of as John but may have been baptised under his new name, possibly even registered with that name if he was adopted very quickly.

malyon

malyon Report 4 Mar 2021 11:03

the only john williams born in cardif was in 1942

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Mar 2021 11:04

The child WAS NOT born in Cardiff.......................

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Mar 2021 11:46

Maybe even registered without a given name..?

????

Births Mar 1945
Williams Male.... Williams Merioneth S. ... 11b 440

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Mar 2021 15:32

Sounds like a case for Nicky and Davina!

Antonia

Antonia Report 8 Mar 2021 23:08

Try Saint Davids Childrens Society Park Place Cardiff.
They may hold some records of the adoption.I think they
have records from 1940/1945.
Antonia

Llamedos Pam

Llamedos Pam Report 9 Mar 2021 11:59

Antonia, We have already contacted them, we had to contact another department and they will then give them with any information that they may have, hope I have put that clear.