Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Find sibling

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


William Report 23 Apr 2021 03:27

My mother gave birth to a baby in London in the early 70s. The only information I have is my mother's DOB and her date of death. I do not know my siblings name. I'm not sure if she gave the baby or babies up for adoption or if she just abandoned them.
I was abandoned in the late 60s in another country. I need help as I believe I have a brother or sister out there. Please help.


nameslessone Report 23 Apr 2021 08:36

William has also posted on the General Chat board but this post has more information.

Abandoned is a very emotive word. Do you mean literally as on a doorstep or were you left with someone. That might lead to what she did with other children.

If she registered births in the uk the child or children would have her surname and her maiden name would show up.

If she put them up for legal adoption you can register your details in case they look for you.


ErikaH Report 23 Apr 2021 10:10

The link may prove useful

Have you tried to look for possible birth records?

Try looking on here in 'search all member trees' to see if anyone else has your mother's details in a GR tree

Make sure you have them in YOUR tree on here, so anyone looking will see them


nameslessone Report 23 Apr 2021 10:25

You were born overseas, is that where your birth mother came from?
Did she die in England.?
If she lived in England you may be able to track her through electoral rolls to see where she was living.


ErikaH Report 25 Apr 2021 09:57

I have sent a PM to William explaining how to get back here - not yet opened


ErikaH Report 27 Apr 2021 13:37

My PM has now been opened :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S


ArgyllGran Report 27 Apr 2021 14:40

William -

the link to look for birth records - free site:

Try searching for births in Greater London (from the "Counties" drop-down list) in a reasonable time-frame, with your mother's maiden surname in the "Mother's surname" box.
As you don't know the child's name, you can leave those boxes blank

Of course, if the child was literally abandoned, .as in "on a doorstep", then perhaps nobody would know who the mother was.


William Report 28 Apr 2021 16:09

Thank you for your comments. She used her maiden name once she left Ireland and moved to the UK. I do have her death certificate. Will this help me trace any other children she gave birth to.


ErikaH Report 28 Apr 2021 16:11

Her death cert will be of no help whatsoever, unless the informant was her child

You've been advised how to look for children..................


William Report 28 Apr 2021 16:28

So I have my mother's date and place of birth in Ireland
I have her date of death in London 2014
Will I be able to trace my siblings with this info. When I said abandoned, I meant left in care. Thank you.


nameslessone Report 28 Apr 2021 16:37

Thank you for putting us right on the abandonment.

As has been explained try looking on freebmd for births with your mothers name.

Some people don’t agree with this route, but have you thought about a dna test? The other thing you do need to do is register your details with the adoptions contact register shown above. If she put you in care your mother may well have done the same with other children.

I take it that it wasn’t a relative that registered her death.


ArgyllGran Report 28 Apr 2021 16:40

Follow the instructions in my last post above.

That will allow you to find children of any woman with the same surname as your mother, if born in England or Wales..

If your mother had a very common surname, that may not help much!

An illegitimately-born child will have the same surname as the mother.
The exception to that could be if the child was registered in the father's surname - but that seems unlikely if the child was then left in care - presumably very soon after birth.


ArgyllGran Report 8 May 2021 17:16

William PM'd me his mother's maiden name.

I sent him a list of 12 possible births in London 1970-75

He thanked me - but now it's up to him to buy all or any of those 12 birth certs if he wishes.

I hope one of them turns out to be the person he's looking for.